Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Every now and then I have to patch a stock where a piece has broken off or to fill in an area that had once allowed a receiver sight to be mounted and have only been marginally successful to get the wood color to match. Most recently, a 1903 Springfield in some kind of sporter stock that had a sloppy cutout for a receiver sight, a lozenge shape cut in the bottom of the forend and a butt "pad" that was some kind of really rotten foam material wrapped with equally rotten cloth and held in place with numerous tacks. I selected a chunk of walnut from pile of old busted stocks and carefully fit the pieces pieces. I then file them down and carefully feather sand them to remove as little of the existing wood as possible which does lighten the wood around the filler piece some. I have an old can of mahogany stain that has become quite thick that I rub into the patch and surrounding area to hopefully make the patch nearly invisible. This time it did not work so well so I bought a fresh can of dark walnut stain and tried that. Same problem, patch is much lighter than the parent wood as is the area surrounding the patch where I had to feather it in to make it all smooth. I have applied stain at least a dozen times, let it sit until it's thickened and sticky then I rub it off with a cloth. It never seems to get any darker than it was after the first application of stain. Does anybody have a technique to get these patches to match better? I do realize that there can be quite a range of light to dark with different pieces of wood but I figure that the stain would make up for that but do try to choose a repair piece close to what it is going on. Thanks for any help or ideas!

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for those replies and the video! I do have a box full of assorted leather dyes - I'll have to see what colors are in there. And I always save my busted stocks just for this purpose.
I'll let you know if I'm successful.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The Feibings mahonay leather dye did the trick. While still very slightly lighter, they are not at all noticeable. Thanks again the help!

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I do have a good pile of broken or otherwise compromised stocks that I do take patches from.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts