Copper Bullet member
4,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Straight from the Politburo...
http://apnews.excite.com/article/20081205/D94SHJS00.html

AP Enterprise: Deaths loom over self-defense laws
Dec 5, 7:05 AM (ET)

By SHELIA BYRD

(AP) Customers walk through the Jackson, Miss., gas station/convenience store Oct. 15, 2008, where on...
Full Image

JACKSON, Miss. (AP) - A convenience store clerk chased down a man and shot him dead over a case of beer this summer and was charged with murder. A week later, a clerk at another Jackson convenience store followed and fatally shot a man he said tried to rob him, and authorities let him go without charges.

Police say the robber in the second case was armed, while the man accused of stealing beer was not.

Just the same, the legal plights of the two clerks highlight the uncertain impact of National Rifle Association-backed laws sweeping the nation that make it easier to justify shooting in self-defense.

In 2006, Mississippi adopted its version of the so-called castle doctrine, which lifts requirements that individuals first try to flee before using deadly force to counter a threat in their homes, vehicles or, in Mississippi's case, at work.

Gun rights advocates who have helped pass the law in 23 states since 2003 say it removes an unfair legal penalty for people exercising a constitutional right in a life-or-death emergency, though some police and prosecutors are skeptical of self-defense claims under the law.

An Associated Press review found a growing number of cases but no clear trend yet in how the law is applied or how cases will be resolved in court. ....

*And on and on and on it goes
Believe this author has surfaced before as a gun hater.
The new mantra: We can't have our streets looking like the Wild West!
Uh! Isn't that exactly what the problem is already ....

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
*And on and on and on it goes
Believe this author has surfaced before as a gun hater.
The new mantra: We can't have our streets looking like the Wild West!
Uh! Isn't that exactly what the problem is already ....
The hoplophobes hate the Wild West image, they prefer, insteadthat the streets be an abatoir. It is preferable, to those that want gun control, that criminals kill as many victims, and that the victims are given no other recourse except phone the cops and wait to die.

When you get down to the meat and potatoes of it all, the Wild West was nota ll that wild, mostly because most folks were armed. After the turn of the century, where you had burdgeoning cities like Los Angeles, and New York and Chicago, they got the citizens less armed and more obediant to the notions of civilization. As people got into the beliefe that they were no longer responcible for their own safety, you developed a pack of criminals that were safe in the notion that the folks they would victimize were unarmed. I recall, and someone could help me here, that Los Angeles had one of the highest percentages of homicides in the country during the 30s. It was an amazing percentage.

Nope, the hoplophobes prefer sheep to be slaughtered, than any safe, sane mellow Wild West reality that existed.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
41,519 Posts
I think I read somewhere that folks on the frontier murdered eachother at twice the rate of the cities back east. But those are loaded statistics in my book. Either way, it doesn't matter. What too many people these days have forgotten is that the life of ever man, woman, and child, STILL do not equal the words printed on those sacred documents in Washington.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.