Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
3,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just looking for some info on the similarities/ differences between axis snipers...

I know that the Germans deployed snipers increasingly with the progression of the war and that the Japanese also used them heavily. Which nation used them to a greater extent in the war (both tactically and numerically)?
Which received better training?
Was one generally more effective than the other?
Was the type 97 with its 2.5 power scope adequate?

·
Admin Emeritus
19,073 Posts
The German sniper had better equipment but the ranges for Japanese snipers was less in heavy cover. They were also masters of camoflauge. I would give the edge to the Germans on this one. I think the best snipers of the war were either the Finns or the English.

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
Hello Col.KLink. You should check out the book. "With British Snipers to the Reich." I can't remember the author though. Its a good read if you like sniper books. Bothe the Brits and the Canadians had some really great shooters.

·
Registered
6,017 Posts
Numerically - no question the Germans had more. Germans had great equipment and much better training.

However - the Japanese scopes were well designed for tropical climates. The Tropical environment played havoc with US equipment. Think the Japanese sniper would have held up better in the environment they served in than any other countries.

As for accuracy the Type 97 and Type 99 were supremely accurate. Unfortunately (or fortunately) the Island battles were'nt the best place to be a sniper. Short range, and if your side did'nt win - you did'nt live. Japanese sniper did'nt use movement, and basically shot till they were over-run.

I've always wondered how the Japanese sniper fared in China where he had at least some chance to live and learn from combat.

The Aussies, I would say, had the best snipers in the Pacific. Some high scorers too. Would be interesting to read more on how their equipment held up.

·
Diamond Bullet Member
2,399 Posts
Hello Col.KLink. You should check out the book. "With British Snipers to the Reich." I can't remember the author though. Its a good read if you like sniper books. Bothe the Brits and the Canadians had some really great shooters.
I think it was written by a Capt. C. Shore. Great read even if the author has a unusual name. The Scottish Lovat Scouts were some very good snipers...:)

·
Platinum Bullet Member and Certified Curmudgeon
15,938 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Great books discussing the British experience:

A Rifleman Went to War; H.W. McBride (WWI)
Sniping in France; Major H. Hesketh-Prichard (WWI)
An Armourer's Perspective: .303 No.4(T) Sniper Rifle and the Holland & Holland Connection; Peter Laidler (WWII)
The British Sniper: British & Commonwealth Sniping & Equipments 1915-1983; Ian Skennerton

enjoy!

Chris

·
Silver Bullet Member
622 Posts
Daddy said---

My Dad was with the 4th MarDiv for WWII. He said the issue of Japanese snipers was confused by the average marine calling any lone rifleman a "sniper," regardless of his equipment or training. Since the Japanese often stayed in position until overrun and killed later in the war, there were lots of individual soldiers being called snipers

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.