Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone else seen any evidence of WW2 German use of British entrenching tools on the Eastern front, please? I ask because I have just purchased one from a Russian dealer near what was Stalingrad. It was found in German positions near Stalingrad, Russia. I wonder if this was because the British tool had a pick on one end of the head, useful for breaking through frozen ground?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
406 Posts
Has anyone else seen any evidence of WW2 German use of British entrenching tools on the Eastern front, please? I ask because I have just purchased one from a Russian dealer near what was Stalingrad. It was found in German positions near Stalingrad, Russia. I wonder if this was because the British tool had a pick on one end of the head, useful for breaking through frozen ground?
Could’ve been used by russian’s having aquired it thru lend lease or used by German soldier picked up from another front. No telling for sure where something like that came from. Looks interesting though!

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did ask the Russian dealer the same thing and he was adamant that it was found in German positions.

That entrenching tool has had an amazing journey from the UK in WW2 and 80 years later finally arriving back home to the UK.

·
Premium Member
406 Posts
Don't forget the German positions were once held by the Russians, those positions could have been overrun or vacated and equip left behind. Just fun to think about. Also Highrider's point backs up my suggestion of might have been picked up on another front.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
In 1940 we lost literally lost enough kit in France to equip an army and that would have included thousands of entrenching tools. Some of our soldiers arrived back in the UK, from France in 1940, and the only equipment that they had on them was their underwear. My mother remembers seeing some of our soldiers who had just got back from Dunkirk and they were in a very sorry state, covered in mud and dirt and looking exhausted.

What it would be interesting to know is whether the Wehrmacht issued some captured British entrenching tools on the Eastern Front because it had a pick on the head, useful for breaking through frozen ground, and the WW2 German entrenching tool did not.

·
Premium Member
406 Posts
NimrodMRA4, you know they had to have reissued captured equipment, they used captured French and British tanks in their invasion of Russia so why not a couple thousand entrenching tools? German manufacturing wasn’t on a war footing at the beginning so they were forced to use captured equipment to help cover the shortfall.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Supposedly there are differences between the WW1 & WW2 versions of them?
There is supposed to be a slight difference in the profile. One has "square" corners to the top edge of the spade part of the tool and the other has more rounded corners. I forget which way round it is.

I'm not entirely convinced that this rule is correct with every make/example.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
And logistics is still a weak point in our current Army. We have first class tanks, jets, helicopters, submarines, frigates but our procurement made contracts without an ample stock of spare parts. About 50% of our military hardware is non-op because its broken or is cannibalized to keep the other 50% operational. Every few years we are the framework nation for NRF missions in Europe and we have to cannibalize battalions and brigades to make a single brigade combat ready. I know of a Jäger Bataillon which has exactly 3 (in words: three) MG3 on stock. Its simply horrible. S3 branch is for amateurs, S4 branch is for professionals. But we don't learn this lesson and politics made our army a piggybank that can be pillaged on and on and on.
Sorry for my rant.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.