Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Folks -

Anyone recognize this one. It's a combo Fighting Knife / Bayonet. Fully fixable on a Gew. 98 or K98. Blade slightly over 7.5"s. I don't believe it is plated, just highly polished with a sharpened edge. No maker marks. Grips seem to be hardened plastic.

Thanks!

- Mike

Oh, by the way..., anyone recognize the 'tank' or 'self propelled gun?' Made of a strange cellulose/plaster like material.​
Attached Thumbnails

·
Platinum Bullet member
7,029 Posts
Possible WWI, but the "karbiner" blade style, is usually found on post war knives, and bayonets. Grips look plastic? Probably Weimar, or early Third Reich.

·
Gold Bullet member
4,427 Posts
I concur with Trench, and in an odd coincidence, got a similar blade this weekend, Klaas kissing-cranes manufacture. Same composition grips, same shorter-than-standard blade and birdshead pommel, though mine's got a factory edge and no clip-point. I think private-purchase postwar.

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
Hello MikeS. You have what looks like a WWII German "dress" bayonet. They're usually refered to as a "Police/Fireman's bayonet." I picked one up this weekend and it was marked as such. Mine has the 10"? blade. I thought it was a cool looking and inexpensive addition to the German collection. Thanks for sharing

·
Gold Bullet member
4,427 Posts
Well, I threw it up on Ebay, so I didn't want to draw attention. When I find something neat-but-not-a-keeper, I usually don't mention it on the forum, as a courtesy.

Still, both his and my blades are NOT "fireman" bayonets or dress bayonets in the usual sense. They're shorter, purpose-made, dress pattern hilts, but have real fighting edges and are shorter and more trench-knife styled than bayonet. I suppose they're a little like a high-quality crank-handle, or maybe a 1920s evasion of the Versailles Treaty about bayonets, since the bayonet was considered part of a uniform but also probably restricted by treaty.

I don't know, I generally don't study things as much as the smart people like Marysdad, Trench, DocAV, and JPS.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts