Gunboards Forums banner

German swords officer and ordnance type

3K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  George R. 
#1 ·
I need some help here as these are out of my area altogether , I recently picked these up along with some other things and need to know exactly what I have.
First a TR Lion Head sword makers mark is E. Pack I believe from what I can see, blade is fantastic, blued scabbard not painted ( is that correct ?? ) otherwise any info that anyone can provide/ballpark value would be great would.

Next one I cannot figure out, it has a officers knot although not pictured as it is broken where it was attached to grip area, no marks except makers mark of Puma, it is not TR but I think Weimar era ( celluloid grip ) ?? no other marks anywhere, great condition,stunning blade, is it officers or nco, ballpark value and time period of issue.

Thank you

GR

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
A blued scabbard is correct for 3rd reich prob pre 1940 or early reich period issue. 3rd reich eps probably worth 350 -500 and imperial era puma worth about the same. WWI blades just don't bring much even in that condition. The eps looks in good condition, if blade is good, it is worth at upper end of the bracket.
Hope this helps.

#5 ·
George,

I have an E. Pack that's about identical to yours - I paid $350 for it, though it has the usual black-painted scabbard and is for some reason missing the carrying ring. An interesting thing I found out about the other: they were government issue, unlike the private-purchase officer's swords. Check yours for the waffenamts indicating inspection and acceptance by government inspectors; there are probably several, all over the various parts. For some reason these were issued not to individuals, but to units, apparantly so if an officer needed one unexpectedly to comply with a certain order of dress, but had left his at home, he could "borrow" one of these and not be in violation of the uniform regs! That's why they're so "plain jane" - they were for "emergency" only. There's no reason this one's not TR as well as the Pack. And it's not an NCO's either - thiers had nickel-plated "silver" hilts, whereas the officers' were gilt.

#6 ·
James,

thank you for the info, I have really looked over the plain jane model officers sword and it has no proof marks anywhere even the scabbard and the throat is devoid of any markings. How do I take it apart or should I just leave it as is.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.