Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
I have one of the ZF-39's I got off ebay a few years ago that I recently put on a Repro LSR Scrubbed RC.

Havent abused it of shot it heavily but the finish is a nice matte blue and the optics are of fair to good quality with adequate light gathering.

I want to say I paid like $180 on ebay but this was over 3 years ago and I think I got it NIB from someone who bought it not a direct importer.

·
Platinum Bullet member
1,719 Posts
Just remember a Repro scope is just that, a cheap knock off. If you buy a cheap knock off Rolex, it is a cheap knock off Rolex. If you just want to put a make belive scope on a non shooting make believe sniper, fine. But, don't be all disapointed if it self destructs the first time you pull the trigger. Most of these Repros are made in China or Ukraine, they may look nice, but qustionable quality. Now, that said, the website you list seems pretty reputable, and not neccesarily cheap products. At $700 I am not sure this scope is a "repro" - or at least it may be Zeiss scope, but a copy of their WWII verision, "retro" if you will. Similier to the Ukrainian made PE & PU scopes, they are modern scopes using current technology, but made to look like WWII or eariler models. Hmmm.... Not sure if I have made a point here, just my 2 cents. Skid

·
Registered
424 Posts
Hey Dave

Wow, the price on the repo Zeiss has really gone up. I have both the repo, and the real deal. My repo hasn't had any issues, yet, I've also seen postings from others who have had problems.

You know, at the cost of those repo's you just might want to look around for a real one. Here's a tip, avoid any with claw mounts silver solder on, as well as, any post war Zeiss scope with bottom rails or those that do not have steel tubes.

However, if you can get a repo Zeiss for a deal (that new or totally works) go for it. Another tip, if you buying in person, shake it and listen for anything. If you hear anything or see any movement in the hairs avoid that repo.

Anyway, in this hobby a repo for someone starting out is just fine, basically it's taking baby steps (which will help you from getting screwed by someone selling a fake) and given time, if you like the hobby you'll come up to speed.

best regards

J strunk

·
Registered
680 Posts
I got a repro Zeiss Nedinsco a couple of years ago. The optics were clear enough - but I wouldn't say 'bright'. The problem with it, was that the 'locking block' that holds the screw that tightens the elevation dial, was loose & moved around. Also the engraving was much smaller & a different font than an original Nedinsco.

A repro is a good starting point if you can't get the original though. They're better than nothing.

·
Copper Bullet member
543 Posts
Not speaking directly to any specific repro scopes, since I don't own any, but it should be kept in mind that modern computerized manufacturing techniques make it possible to create very high precision, perhaps as good or better than the originals (provided the materials are of similarly high quality, which is a big "if"), at what might seem like a ridiculously low price. I'm sure there are truly "cheap knockoffs" out there, but keep in mind that optics manufactures in the 1930's to 40's required a lot more specialized manpower to create results that can be reached rather cheaply with mostly automated processes today, so it may be possible to get a very good repro at a very reasonable price.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts