Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This number is on the side of the barrel 8 27 0 CC. And 8270 is stamped on the stock. Just wondering if this is a German S/N. Its just not as neat as the other numbers on the rifle. makes me wonder if it was put on by the Germans or maybe the Russians.

·
Gold Bullet member
7,131 Posts
The receiver number is German, the one on the left buttstock is a Russian added "capture" number.
(BTW the Russians stamped numbers horizontally and the Yugos stamped their "capture" number vertically)
The Germans NEVER numbered a WWII stock on the left rear buttstock.
Early rifles had a serial number behind the heel on the underside, and inside the barrel channel and handguard, but mid and later war rifles did not and were serialized inside the barrel channel and the handguard only.
Very late rifles had no serial number on the stocks at all inside or out.

·
Registered
5,090 Posts
whats the code? bnz? ive seen them with some chatter marks so bad (numbers uneven) i almost thought they were fake.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
whats the code? bnz? ive seen them with some chatter marks so bad (numbers uneven) i almost thought they were fake.
Code is BCD. Its interesting how the barrel maker and manufacturer seem to be neatly stamped. Im wondering if they did not put the serial numbers on, maybe the military did this?

·
Registered
292 Posts
I have very few pictures of bcd rifles. I did notice the '44 years were stamped on the barrel. I did have pics of 3 from '43 and one was stamped very similar to yours. They did 2 numbers under the Waffenampt and then two more off to the right so it looked like this: 28 78

The other 2 from '43 looked very nicely spaced together. No idea why though.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts