Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello Folks -

Was cleaning up and as I passed this by in the 'shop,' thought this might be of interest! I obtained this quite a few years ago and just this past year got around to restoring it. It is a model of a German Torpedo Boat made by a German prisoner in a POW Camp near Preston, Lancashire. It was missing a bunch of rigging and a couple parts that I recreated and replaced. These plus some discrete cleaning, as it had spent many years in an attic in that region, and here it is.

It is all wood, about 23"s long and the portholes are made of old boot eyelets. The base is a solid piece (not plywood) and has two big spikes coming though into the hull. I am in the process of looking for an old case, or else will make one for it. Apparently they made these and similar items for sale in the area to obtain money for use in the canteen. I have a period book on Brit POW Camps and it has several photos of the POWs and similar efforts. Has rotating tubes and armament. Perhaps it is based on the fellow's ship?

Thought you might enjoy viewing it and also, am wondering if anyone might know of the POW Camp from the Preston area.

Thanks for looking!

- Best Regards! Mike

·
Premium Member
3,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Bobby -

Isn't it neat though! Yes, it is most definitely WW1. I am working on id'ing the POW Camp, but there were several in the region along with numerous smaller work camps. At that time the POWs were released and could take these to town to sell them and raise money for cigarettes, etc. A far cry from today's world...., unfortunately. But fortunately this one went into an attic for 85 years or so and survived quite well. Amazing when you consider the delicate parts.

It was a lot of fun restoring it also. I did not do anything that couldn't be undone, and retained photos of it before I started. I also have two original (WW1 German) Torpedo Boat shoulder patches to display with it once I get it cased.

Have to say, it is 'one of a kind.'

- Best Regards! Mike

·
Registered
4,272 Posts
Hey Mike,
Even in WWII, German and Italian prisoners of war were allowed to leave the POW camp to work on nearby farms to earn a little money.
About 30 years ago, a neighbor's son was serving in Germany, and visited the home of his future wife, and while talking to her father, he spotted an American school book on his shelf, when he opened it, it was marked to our school district. When he asked how he came to have this book, his future father-in-law told him that he had been a POW in Idaho. This man's daughter now lives with in 20 miles of the POW camp he stayed in, it is a small world.
Best wishes
Gus
ps cool bath tub toy

1 - 4 of 4 Posts