Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I visited a friend in the southern part of my state and he was proud to show off his latest acquisition...a German FG 42. It's one of 26 examples in the United States, I had never heard of it much less gotten to play with one. As I understand it, the FG42 was a German attempt at a light machine gun that could be handled by one soldier. It is heavier than I would want to tote for a prolonged period but it could be done.

Enjoy the pics...for perspective we placed another piece from his collection, an MP44, in one of the pics.

·
Platinum Bullet member
3,362 Posts
An FG42 and a MP44 Two rifles I would almost kill to have. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
I'll take 2 please. Very nice, Bama your friend is a lucky man.

·
Registered
8,169 Posts
When I was a young man I had the chance to shoot a FG42, even then (early sixthies) it was a very rare gun and was smuggled out of one of the Greek islands. This is a beautifull specimen. I was charmed to see one for sale at the military show in Ostend last weekend. No, I didn't ask the price!

G

·
0 Posts
Must be nice to be rich and live in a free state!! Very nice rifles, wish I had them!

·
Registered
490 Posts
DANG!!

That's pretty awesome!!

Thanks for the pics!

C

·
0 Posts
I do believe the FG42 was made for the fallshirmjagers. Easier to carry a kick ass weapon from the sky.

·
Gold Bullet member
4,426 Posts
Fallschirmjegergewehr, paratrooper rifle. Every n00b to gun-culture wants either a K-98 or a FG-42, and given they only made a couple thousand of 'em to begin with, and they're class III, damnawfully rare. THANK YOU for saying how many are in the USA, maybe that'll help me next time the next kid I take shooting asks if he can get a FG42 along with one of everything I've got.

The thing that intrigues me is how the side-loading magazine, side-rechargeable magazine port, and the arrangement of the pistol-gripped-stock all seem reminiscent of the American Johnson M1941 Auto-Carbine...

Regardless, thanks for sharing. It's posts like this that help really flesh out our hobby.

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
Seems we had the BAR much earlier and don't know which one performed better, but if both were magazine fed, the BAR seems more practical, as one soldier did operate it.

·
Moderator/Gold Bullet member
8,789 Posts
Great pics and a very lucky friend! I'd love to have a StG 44.

·
Registered
135 Posts
It certainly used to be the case that the only source of 8mm Kurz was reloads or increasingly scarce surplus, but that has changed. Hornady has 7.92x33 now, and
Prvi Partizan, a Serbian manufacturer, is selling it in the US as well. Its available from many vendors. Even Sportsman's Guide carries the stuff.
But back to the original post, thanks for sharing the FG42. Beautiful!

Jay

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
It certainly used to be the case that the only source of 8mm Kurz was reloads or increasingly scarce surplus, but that has changed. Hornady has 7.92x33 now, and
Prvi Partizan, a Serbian manufacturer, is selling it in the US as well. Its available from many vendors. Even Sportsman's Guide carries the stuff.
But back to the original post, thanks for sharing the FG42. Beautiful!

Jay
Jay, thanks for the update on ammo availability. Now that ammo is apparently available and reasonably affordable, I still can't afford something to fire it with :(.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Seems we had the BAR much earlier and don't know which one performed better, but if both were magazine fed, the BAR seems more practical, as one soldier did operate it.
Different roles, the FG.42 was supposed to serve as a semi-auto rifle with the capability to go full-auto if needed. The BAR is a full-auto only support weapon.

Great pics Bama, your friend is certainly one of the privilaged few!

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
Different roles, the FG.42 was supposed to serve as a semi-auto rifle with the capability to go full-auto if needed. The BAR is a full-auto only support weapon.

Great pics Bama, your friend is certainly one of the privilaged few!
How were the roles different, if the BAR could be fired almost semi-auto with trigger control and carried by one man, when it seems the FG.42 (a serious good looker compared to the BAR) apparrently need a bit more to lug around?

I am not arguing, as I know very little about the FG.42. Just seems the BAR was more versatile and put into service during WWI.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I'm just having this vision of an FG42 mounted on the back of the Shadow (Honda), with Snoopy on the back saddle as "Tail Gunner" - keeping tailgaters at bay . . :D

1 - 20 of 32 Posts