Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is a quite interesting photo I picked up rcently. To me it looks as if they have a ball on top of their pickelhaubes instead of the spike, if I'm not mistaken that means they are mounted artillerymen? It looks as if they have cloth covers over the ball and pickelhaubes. The photo is undated, any thoughts on when it might have been taken will be welcome. My gut feeling says early war (1915?), but the only text on it is on the reverse "A. Bässler, trupp.-Uebg.-Platz Münsingen."

Here is the full image.A little faded, but good enough quality to get closer scans of...

I suppose this is the officer. He appears to be carrying a luger instead of a rifle.

Who might this be lying in front of them? A trainer or officer?

A closeup of some of the soldiers. All of them appear to have binoculars and Kar88s slung across their shoulders. No ammunition pouches or tornisters.

Any thoughts on this picture are welcome... :)

·
Registered
4,336 Posts
Hey Bayonet Collector, My first thought was that the balls do not indicate mounted artillerie, but then I realized that the fact that they were on horses woutl surely mean that they were mounted troops, and yes they have balls (on their Kugelhelm) so they would be related to the artillerie. Judging by the collar lace and the binoculars (not fieldglasses), these are NCOs that are spotters or scouts. I would expect them to be in a fairly active unit, to have one armed with a P'08.
Best wihes
Gsu

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Hi Gus & BC!

This could be a war time photo, but I am thinking it could also be pre-war, perhaps around 1910, when the new feldgrau M1907/10 uniform was adopted, and just prior to the artillery units turning in their Gew 91 rifles for Gew 98a karabiners.

All riders appear to be wearing the calvery version of the M1907/10, no other type at all. The thing that seems strange, is I do not see the stacking hooks, but that could be the photo itself.

One of those photos that has nothing clear cut to identify the exact period.

It is a very nice photo of Feld Artillerie troopers at the Truppenuebungsplatz Munsingen.

·
Registered
4,336 Posts
Hey George,
What is your take on the P08, or is it a P06. It looks like it has a shoulder stock behind the holster, and I am pretty sure that it is longer than the P08, but not so long as the Artillerie model.
Gsu

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
It occured to me after I had logged off last night that there are no regimentals on the uberzugs / helmet covers. I was focusing on the uniforms, and I was typing out loud (lol) when I mentioned the stacking hooks. Field artillerymen with Kar 88's should have been a give away. Gew 91's were made with these troops in mind so they could stack arms and keep them out of the dirt when they were working their field gun.

SO, I think now it is early war, possibly summer of 1914. Possibly Landsturm.

These guys could be from an Ersatz Battalion. I have seen several photos from 1914 with artillerymen with plain uberzugs. Plus they are armed with Kar 88's, and they all wear pre-war mounted version M1907/10 feldrocks. If this was 1915, you would probably see some wearing the infantry version M1907/10 or M1913 feldrocks or M1910 vereinfachte feldrocks with simplifies cuffs also.

Gus, it looks like a normal PO8 holster to me, but I see what you are talking about the way is arm is positioned it gives an appearance that his arm is resting on something tucked under his arm.

Anyone notice the chap forth from the right is wearing a Kaiser's Shooting Prize on the right arm? ( Amazing what a cup of coffee can do).

BC, really cool photo.

·
Registered
4,336 Posts
Gus, it looks like a normal PO8 holster to me, but I see what you are talking about the way is arm is positioned it gives an appearance that his arm is resting on something tucked under his arm.
Hey George,
I was looking at the attaching bracket on the stock visible below the tip of the holster, and it looks like there is a strap around the stock and holster.
Gus

·
Premium Member
4,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Your eyes are good, Gus, no wonder you can read fraktur script... :eek:

I have looked for the stock you wrote about several times and not seen a hint of it. Now that you specify where it is I se it, but you have to know what to look for¨and where to be able to spot it...

I'll go outside now to wave to you. If you look out your window to the east I'm sure you'll see me... :eek: To prove you saw me you can post what colour my overcoat is... :D

·
Registered
631 Posts
Mounted soldat with Luger

The mounted soldat with the Luger is an NCO, an unteroffizier or Sgt, you can see the collar trim and the buttons in the picture, also that he does not have any officer's shoulder boards, but rather the regular enlisted type. (edit: I notice Gustav already got that, so I guess I'm #2 or 6 or something on that. Good call Gustav.)

Good eyes, on the Luger! You can see something behind the tip of the holster!

Thanks for posting these pictures! The caption says that they're at a Manouvers area, not the front, obviously!

·
Registered
4,336 Posts
Your eyes are good, Gus, no wonder you can read fraktur script... :eek:

I have looked for the stock you wrote about several times and not seen a hint of it. Now that you specify where it is I se it, but you have to know what to look for¨and where to be able to spot it...

I'll go outside now to wave to you. If you look out your window to the east I'm sure you'll see me... :eek: To prove you saw me you can post what colour my overcoat is... :D
My eyesight is not that good, if Nigel would stand to the side, I could see better, his Overcoat is green, I think Yours is Grey, but I can not be sure, because all I can see is you arm.
Gsu

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.