Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Gold Bullet member
4,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This came from a collector estate with a byf 43 P38. I didn't pay anything for it; the seller found it in a box of stuff after I bought the pistol and shipped it. It is somewhat "backwards" from the standard P38 softshell holster in that the stud is on the top flap with the tab coming up versus the normal arrangement of the tab being on the top flap. It smells like old leather, has clearly molded to the shape of a P38 inside, has some age cracking on points of stress, and the markings are of the correct type for the maker as far as I can tell with online research (jln 1944 and WaA145). Help from folks who know more than me deeply welcome; I am thinking this is a transitional piece from hardshell to softshell P38 (the German hi-power and PPK holsters, as well as many smaller autos are in this configuration)??? Any information appreciated!

·
Registered
864 Posts
Generally stated to be a 'Police Type' holster. The only difference being that the closure strap points upwards and fixes to the flap instead of downward and being pinned to the stud on the holster body as on the military style.
You see the same differences in holsters for the small autos like the PPK, PP, Sauers, etc. Even the hard shell P38 & Luger holsters have the two different styles.

There may be a Police marking (Eagle/C,,Eagle/F,,) in the leather somewhere. It's usually very small and can be tough to see imprinted sometimes and not all of them are marked.

Nice condition holster.. Don't put any shoe polish on it!!

·
Gold Bullet member
4,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Much appreciated! Had thought about the police attribution but did not know those were WaA marked. Where would the police inspection stamp usually be?

·
Registered
864 Posts
Normally I would think it would be marked either by one or the other,,either WaA,,or Police marked.
There are pictures around of police style German WW2 holsters being WaA marked.

I guess a better way to think of the holster is that it is refered to as being a Police 'Style' holster rather than strictly being a Police issue item.

I was just thinking if perhaps the holster had had enough of a history to have been used by both the military and a police unit to carry both markings.

·
Gold Bullet member
4,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Got it. Thanks. Rarity scale about one of these for every ten Army style? Did not see any of this type on a web search. No, I am not planning on selling it; like to know about stuff I own. Thanks again.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Found a pic of one in Benders book 'Military Holsters of WW2'.
pg83... P38 holster (soft shell) Police Style w/ 'joa 1943' mfg marking on the back along with WaA706 marking and the large 'P38' stamping in the upper right corner.
Same smooth leather as yours, not the pigs skin or calf skin pebble grain leather that some of the holsters are made of.

Seems like I've seen another pic or two, but can't remember where or what book. I hate getting old!
Don't blame you about not selling off stuff. The money is nice but it's gone in no time and finding a replacement is almost impossible sometimes.

·
Administrator
3,277 Posts
Police stuff is a mixture, I know police lugers, P38's much less well, but can tell you about nazi and the police. There were several kinds of police, city police, rural police; then all of these odd ones like water police, railroad police, etc, then a lot of 'security" police, many of these were activated into the army when given the chance and there was a reason for them to join the army.

ALSO, the police aquired most of their gear and weapons through the army, so you will see army marked gear and never know it belonged to the police, unless it is found in a police holster OR sometimes they were police marked. Police marking all depended on who the weapons were issued to; i.e. a rural police would probably unit mark their stuff, while another unit might not at all in the security police (be aware, security does not equal gestapo or SS), although many police later worked alongside the SS.

Ed

1 - 8 of 8 Posts