Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought I’d share an interesting recent pickup that I was quite happy to come across...German occupation variant of the CZ-24 pistol.

Per Jan Stills’ “Axis Pistols” book, when the Germans occupied Czechoslovakia and the CZ factory, there was a small number of leftover CZ-24 parts that were then assembled into complete pistols for the Germans. These pistol bear no serial numbers, 4 vertical slide serrations (as opposed to 5 slanted serrations on standard Czech production), and German eagle/swastika test proof and WaA76 waffenamt on the barrel. I was fortunate enough not only to come across a high condition pistol, but it came as a complete rig with two magazines (correctly marked P.Mod.24 on the floorplates - indicating German occupation production) and a really nice HK 1940 dated and Luftwaffe proofed CZ-24 holster.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
interesting. I actually have one myself. however, mine is serial numbered and does not have the vertical serrations but the slanted ones like the normal CZ24. I think this difference between the serrations is because of the changing from CZ24 to the CZ27 designs which of course was already in production and these so called sterile guns were test guns of the design. The one thing that is interesting to me is the barrel proof eagle. It is definitely a different variation than mine. could this be for a test? You didn't post any pictures of the top of the slide. however, it appears in the one pic that the rear may have been ground? if so that is where the serial number could have been removed. It doesn't however appear that your gun has been refinished. this is really interesting to be able to compare the two and see the confusion of what they wanted to do and then eventually decided just to produce the CZ27 as mine is actually marked more consistent with the CZ27 configuration yet on a CZ24 gun.

Attachments

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Yoebuff, I’ve seen your example in the past and it’s an excellent one! I’ve attached a pic of the top of the slide on mine below, no evidence a serial number was removed. Finish is original. Interesting to note the difference in texture/machining on the top of the slide between our examples.

The test proof on these examples does differ from yours and what’s seen on the CZ-27s. Not exactly sure how it was done but it’s been described by others as almost and acid-etch. It would be fascinating to know exactly when/why these sterile variations were made and where they fit in the production timeline compared to yours.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
KH, clearly, your slide had not been ground down. thanks for posting the top of the slide! It just never had the criss cross cuts into the top. Unfortunately, we may never know because of lost records, what was going on with the production, but logically it would make sense that they used up the remaining parts to assemble guns for service. Hence, mine which is serial numbered past the known serial range and even accepted in the same manner as the CZ27's. Then they produced a few sterile guns with design changes such as yours, that have the straight serrations similar to the CZ27, probably to see if they could use the same tooling to make both the CZ27 and the CZ24. This could explain why you have a different style barrel eagle. Its more of a "proof" than an "acceptance" mark. when they find out they can't effectively make both guns they drop the CZ24 in favor of the CZ27 and go full production on them. more than likely that would be my guess as to production timeline. It would also make sense as to why we see slow production of the CZ27 in the very beginning. the fact the CZ24 has a rounded slide and CZ27 has the flat slide, they couldn't use the same machinery to effectively make both, but probably tried too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.