Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Gold Bullet member
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a German Needle Rifle made for Wurtemburg at Oberndorff. I have not been able to positively identify the model so far, but I am thinking border guard or customs, something like that. It has been unit marked on the buttplate. The bayonet lug is also unusual in that it is curved across the top, I have also not been able to find a bayonet that will fit it yet. What I really find interesting about this is that it went back to the arsenal in 1873, after the Mauser brothers took over.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
made from a Württembergisches Vereinsgewehr 1857 muzzle loader, carbine or cut down musket. very rare model for the dreyse needle rifle collector.
possible that it ends by the boarder guard or custom after the carbine M 71 was coming to the military but made for artillery man,engineers and technical troops I suspect.

·
Registered
801 Posts
The action looks very similar to the one on my 1873 Bavarian issue Gendarme carbine.

·
Registered
342 Posts
This modell is named as "Pionergewehr 1870 U/M", they were made from the old percussion Jaeger-rifles model 1860. Later the bolt of these rifles were modified with a rubber ring (called "Adaptiert nach Beck", like most of the German needle rifles who where after 1870 in active service). The action is the sames a the prussian M65 Jaeger rifle.

The 1870 1873 marking means made in 1870, went to active service in 1873. These rifles where uses till the Mauser M71 Jaeger rifles or M71 carbines went in service (about end of the 1870th or early in the 1880th)

This particular rifle was used by the "Königlich Wuerttembergische Stabswache" (royal Wuerttemberg headquater guards), here used as rifle No. 21

These rifles have a special rear sight (not the usal one from the poinieer rifles).

the correct bayonet for these rifle is the wuerttemberg jeager-yatagan, not verry commone here in Germany, if you can get one, you must pay about the same price (or more) of the rifle

Grüße

Peter

BTW you have a very nice rifle !!!! and the third one I've saw of these (used by the headquater guards) in the last 20 years....

·
Gold Bullet member
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Peter, Thank you for the information and identification. The closest I could find was the pioneer rifle, however the rear sight is different as you noted. I am not familiar with the bayonet, does it have a curve in the mortise slot the same as the lug?

·
Registered
342 Posts
look here for the bayonet:

http://www.waffensammler-kuratorium.de/

=> Waffenarchiv
==> Württemberg - Yatagan für die Jägerbüchse 1860

they wrote also: "Ein kleiner Teil von ihnen wurde an die im deutsch-französischen Krieg aufgestellten Stabswachen als Seitengewehr ausgegeben. Sie wurden durch Aufbohren des Parierstangenrings auf 21,2 mm an die Zündnadelkarabiner der Infanterie-Stabswachen angepaßt."

==> tranfromed the hilt-guard to fit thebayonets to these rifles by drilling the hole in the guard.....

Grüße

Peter

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.