Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
EDIT: I thought I had deleted this post which inadvertently had extra photographs added to it - please ignore these and also ignore the second post! Trajan

Hi everyone,

I have only just started branching out from collecting bayonets to collecting WWI postcards - apart from being cheaper they also have that more personal touch! Anyway, at the moment I know next to zilch about German WWI uniforms and my reading of handwritten German of the period is only slightly better, so any input on this 'Feldpostkarte' I have just bought would be enormously appreciated, beginning with a uniform question:

1) I assume this guy is a NCO from the piping on his epaulettes and the fact he has a pistol. But what about the rather unusual (unusual to me, anyway!) collar decoration/insigna?

And now the more tricky bit, the text on the card:

2) There is no indication as to the identity of the sender that I can see, except he signs himself 'Karl', and the card is adressed to someone in the "3 Garde Feldart(illerie?). Reg" - but who and where was it stationed? As for the rest of the card, apart from the 'Dear Friend' in line 2 and the reference to '3 days' in line 3, all I can get is a reference to Metz in line 5, and that lines 5-6 refer to a 'five hour journey back'.

I know there are some followers of this thread who have lots of experience in both identifying uniforms and in reading German, so I'd really be glad of your help!

Trajan
Photograph Uniform Headgear Non-commissioned officer Military officer
Text Line Handwriting Font Writing

Attachments

·
Registered
8,267 Posts
The first card.

Feldpostkarte

An
Unterof. Linder
3. Rekr. Bat.
3. Garde Feldart. Reg.
Döberitz

Lt. Hubert, den 29/11/14
(Maybe he ment “S(ain)t Hubert” in the Belgian Ardennes/ The Bulge ???, not sure at all!)

Lieber Freund!
Heute der Vergnügen mal 3 Tage aus den Schützengraben nach Metz zu fahren. Bin wieder auf der Rückfahrt. Habe mich mal verbetlich(?) ausgelebt.
In volle Gesundheit grüsse dich dein Freund
Karl

·
Registered
8,267 Posts
Second card.

There are a couple of words unclear (to me), The name/function of his company seems strange and is probably something else ... "Genesungskompanie???".

Feldpost
Abs. Wehrmann Reuter
Genesen(???)- Kompanie
Mühlhausen i(n) ??? (maybe he ment "Thr" - Thüringen??)
z(ur) Z(ei)t Sonneberg

Frau
Therese Karl
Tettau i(n) Bayern
Oberfranken

Sonneberg, d(en) 30 Sept. 1915
Liebe Schwägerin und Klara!
Bin seid Sonnabend auf Urlaub und habe eine grosse Arbeit mit den Umzug durchgemacht. Ich dachte ich träfe euch beim Umzug, leider hat es Amalie nicht geschrieben. Ich befinde mich seit den 19 Sept in Mühlhausen in der Genesen(???) Kompanie, wir werden am langsten schöner Zeit gehabt haben.
Es grüsst euch herzlichst euer Schwager und Onkel Edward(?)

In the margins:
Gruss an Schwiegermutter.
Gruss an Amalie und Gustav. (this is not Gsu!!)

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Big C. and JS,

I greatly appreciate your comments and BC, especially the transcript. Knowing that some GBF members will possibly write in to say ‘Please, please, what do they say?’ I will offer the following with German words in CAPITALS where an amendment might be suggested to BC's transcript (with thanks for those on the first postcard from another forum mate). My German is very rusty, so BC, please feel free to correct where necessary

Postcard 1:

An / Unterof. Linder / 3. Rekr.Batr / 3. Garde Feldart.Rg / Döberitz.
ST.Hubert, den 29.11.14 / Hate das Vergnügen mal 3 Tage / aus dem Schützengraben nach / Metz zu fahren. Bin wieder auf / der Rückfahrt. Habe mich mal / ORDENTLICH ausgelebt. In voller / Gesundheit grüßt dich dein Freund / Karl

‘To Unteroffizier Linder, 3. Rekruten-Batterie, 3. Garde Feldartillerie-Regiment, Döberitz. ST.Hubert, the 29[SUP]th[/SUP] November1914. Dear friend. (I) Had the pleasure of three days from the trenches to go to Metz. I am on the return journey. I greatly lived the life. In full health I greet you my friend. Karl'

Postcard 2:

Abs Wehrmann Reuter / Genesen Kompanie / Mühlhausen i(n) ??? (???"Thr" - Thüringen??) / z(ur) Z(ei)t Sonneberg

(An) Frau / Therese Karl / Tattau i(n) Bayern / Oberfranken/

Liebe Schwägerin und Klara! / Bin seid Sonnabend auf Urlaub und / habe eine grosse Arbeit mit den Umzug / durchgemacht. Ich dachte / ich TREFFE euch beim Umzug, leider hat / es Amalie nicht geschrieben. Ich befinde / mich seit den 19 Sept in Mühlhausen / in der Genesen(???) Kompanie, wir werden / am langsten schöner Zeit gehabt haben. / Es grüsst euch herzlichst euer / Schwager und Onkel Edward(?)

In the margins: Gruss an Schwiegermutter./ Gruss an Amalie und Gustav.

‘From Wehrmann Reuter, Recovery Company, Mühlhausen in Thuringen, at present at Sonneberg. (To) Frau Therese Karl, Tattau in Bayern, Oberfranken. Dear sister-in-law and Klara, Since Sunday I am on leave and have much to do with the parade preparations. I’ll meet you at the parade but I haven’t written to Amaile. Since 19[SUP]th[/SUP] September I have been in Mühlhausen with the recovery company, we have had the longest nicest time. Your brother-in-law and Uncle Edward send their warmest greetings’

In the margins:

‘Greetings to mother-in law; greetings to Amalie and Gustav’

Funny thing is that I also have a feldpostkarte from Oskar Karl, son of Theresa (and Robert Karl) of Tettau, who writes a gloomy postcard to his mum and dad, but who - again thanks to the same other Forum friend who translated it and then checked the Bavarian archives - went on the win an EK II Klasse and a Bavarian Military service medal III Klasse...!!!

Trajan

Second edit: to correct address in postcard 2 - there is a Mühlhausen and a Sonneberg in Thüringen

·
Registered
8,267 Posts
1st card:
"ordentlich" ... of course, I missed that!

2nd card:
"Umzug" ... I don't know if we should see it as "Parade" it could be "Procession" or "Move" (from one house to another maybe?).

"Ich dachte ich träfe euch ... I see this more as: "I thought I would see you both at the "Umzug", unfortunately Amalie didn't write about it."

Just my 2 cents.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.