Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Silver Bullet Member
843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While I was walking around the gunshow trying hard to distract myself from buying a G24(t) I ran into something I haven't really heard of or seen here. A seller had a Yugo model 1924 with a tag that said German modified. When I looked at it, it was indeed a Yugo model 1924 that all matching but the bolt, non import and had German style take down washers in the stock. On both of the take down disks there were tiny (I think) KRU stamps on them exactly like the ones stamped on my German modified VZ24. The take down washers weren't sitting in the stock flush and looked kind of sloppy. This made me start to wonder if this was a fantasy piece. On top of that he had a ton of other K98's on his table and all of them had different problems like a DOT 44 with a czech winter guard for a low cost of $1,200! Has anyone seen or heard of a German modified 1924? I'm thinking that is a fantasy piece due to the sloppiness of the washers and the other guns he had on the table. He wanted $425 for it. I looked in the book "Serbian and Yugoslav Mauser Rifles" and there was a section on the Chetnik carbine and how it was thought that a bunch of the carbines were seized by the Germans and sent to Germany. Is any of this plausible?

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
While I was walking around the gunshow trying hard to distract myself from buying a G24(t) I ran into something I haven't really heard of or seen here. A seller had a Yugo model 1924 with a tag that said German modified. When I looked at it, it was indeed a Yugo model 1924 that all matching but the bolt, non import and had German style take down washers in the stock. On both of the take down disks there were tiny (I think) KRU stamps on them exactly like the ones stamped on my German modified VZ24. The take down washers weren't sitting in the stock flush and looked kind of sloppy. This made me start to wonder if this was a fantasy piece. On top of that he had a ton of other K98's on his table and all of them had different problems like a DOT 44 with a czech winter guard for a low cost of $1,200! Has anyone seen or heard of a German modified 1924? I'm thinking that is a fantasy piece due to the sloppiness of the washers and the other guns he had on the table. He wanted $425 for it. I looked in the book "Serbian and Yugoslav Mauser Rifles" and there was a section on the Chetnik carbine and how it was thought that a bunch of the carbines were seized by the Germans and sent to Germany. Is any of this plausible?
I think Military Mausers of the World Vol.4 has some examples of German modified Yugoslavian mausers.

Were any parts numbered that would not be numbered on an original Yugoslavian mauser (for example, the barrel bands)? If they were numbered then it there is a chance that the Germans did modify it.

I have never looked for German modified weapons of any kind so I cannot vouch for the quality of the take down disks.

·
Diamond Member with Oak Leaves and Swords
1,707 Posts
There are a number of varieties of German-modified Yugo M24s; some of the modifications are very crude while others are very professionally executed.

·
Diamond Member with Oak Leaves and Swords
1,707 Posts
Observed so far 3 types: crude, professional; un-modified
Crude: upper swivel filed off, sling bracket brazed/welded to upper band; butt swivel proper removed, removed and base filed flat; entire unit removed and hole crudely plugged; WaA'd takedown washer installed; sling slot added; some look like they were done by a drunken beaver. No WaAs to be seen except on washer; some with bright bolts, others blued.
Professional: Upper swivel removed, replaced by a machined K98k sling band notched at rear to fit bandspring; e/B (Police) acceptance on band. Butt swivel present, removed and base professionally filed flat; sling slot added professionally. So far I have not seen these Police jobs with a takedown washer added; so far all seen have had blued bolts. No WaAs.
Un-Modified: No physical changes of any sort. Butt branded left side: Kdtr. Tr. Üb.Pl. Hfls/Abt. III. = Kommandantur, Truppenübungsplatz Hohenfels/Abteilung III.
There are probably other varieties.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts