Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. i’m kinda new here, don’t post on here much but i recently purchased a german mauser, here are some pictures, just wondering if anyone has some more info on the rifel and seriel number. i hope my pictures are good enough!
Wood Hand tool Tool Metal Fashion accessory

Camouflage Military camouflage Dress Sleeve Wood

Hand Bicycle fork Sleeve Bicycle part Bicycle

Sleeve Wood Bicycle part Musical instrument accessory Metal

Wood Wood stain Varnish Hardwood Metal

Automotive lighting Musical instrument Sports equipment Wood String instrument

Hand Finger Wood Nail Human leg

· Registered
1,519 Posts
The barrel band and floorplate are serial number matched along with the safety and bolt sleeve which are matched to one another, but the rest appears to be a compilation of parts from various rifles....Stock has also been varnished or shellaced....Displays well and should make a nice shooter....Put some rounds through it and not be worried about hurting things....Bodes

· Platinum Bullet Member
1,466 Posts
A bit neglected / patinated, dusty & semi-matching, but so far, we see mostly 1944-correct parts upon this l block example from Mauser Oberndorf.
MO made over a million of them in that year & this specimen appears to sport a few phosphated bits plus a WGL (white glue laminated) stock.
Thanks for posting, & of course we'd like to see more of it.

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The barrel band and floorplate are serial number matched along with the safety and bolt sleeve which are matched to one another, but the rest appears to be a compilation of parts from various rifles....Stock has also been varnished or shellaced....Displays well and should make a nice shooter....Put some rounds through it and not be worried about hurting things....Bodes
thank you for the information, it’s appreciated!

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A bit neglected / patinated, dusty & semi-matching, but so far, we see mostly 1944-correct parts upon this l block example from Mauser Oberndorf.
MO made over a million of them in that year & this specimen appears to sport a few phosphated bits plus a WGL (white glue laminated) stock.
thank you for the information, i will definitely try and post some more pictures 👍🏻

· Registered
1,519 Posts
I'm not sure it's all neglect....My first K98k was one such 'byf44' in the l block range....The receiver and barrel were blued, while the butt plate, entire bolt, trigger guard and bayonet lug all had a phosphate finish....Was missing the takedown disk and had the hole in the BP....

After having the rifle for a while, I noticed the phosphate parts were taking on a brownish appearance, to which I figured I had left those parts unoiled....I continued using a petroleum-based oil and the condition worsened...I eventually sold it back to the guy I bought it from, and he figured I shouldn't have used ordinary gun oil on it....Since then, I resist using any such oil on any German phosphate finishes on my rifles/pistols and haven't yet reexperienced such problems....Bodes

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm not sure it's all neglect....My first K98k was one such 'byf44' in the l block range....The receiver and barrel were blued, while the butt plate, entire bolt, trigger guard and bayonet lug all had a phosphate finish....Was missing the takedown disk and had the hole in the BP....

After having the rifle for a while, I noticed the phosphate parts were taking on a brownish appearance, to which I figured I had left those parts unoiled....I continued using a petroleum-based oil and the condition worsened...I eventually sold it back to the guy I bought it from, and he figured I shouldn't have used ordinary gun oil on it....Since then, I resist using any such oil on any German phosphate finishes on my rifles/pistols and haven't yet reexperienced such problems....Bodes
ok thank you, i will definitely keep this in mind

· Silver Bullet member
3,084 Posts
L blocks are completely un-numbered aside from the bolt.
If you are lucky the stock is un-numbered however its almost guaranteed to match the bands and floorplate.
Your floorplate is numbered very specific to a byf44 letter block just before the L block.
NEVER scrub rust with oil period. You are highly likely to remove blue regardless of what other people will tell you.
PM me for the proper way

· Registered
68 Posts
Maybe it is my inexperience, but the stock coating looks Russian. Could this be an RC?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts