Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
704 Posts
I won't comment much beyond this...there are more informed people on the subject than I am on here.

It does appear to be a German WWII era stamp and is not proudly placed on the stock. The stamp also appears to be sanded similarly to the rest of the butt stock, meaning it was placed prior to the sanding.

·
Moderator/Gold Bullet member
9,168 Posts
That's now the third one like this that I've seen. Same, pre-armistice production, eagle/swastika stamp in the same location, and single, relatively large capital letter on the wrist. One of my MAS 36's shares the same characteristics and is a 1939 production rifle.

What is very strange is that the stamp is not at all in the style of a German depot marking, and is more along the lines of a 'Beschussstempel,' a firing proof stamp that appears on barrels proofed by German facilities. I'm not sure what to make of these, but I felt good enough about mine to buy it. Besides, it's a great shooter and all matching.

Anyone else seen this sub-species?

Pat

·
Moderator/Gold Bullet member
9,168 Posts
Nice!!

Best,
Pat

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
very interesting. I agree its not the normal depot mark that one would expect to see, however......I know that same style mark shows up on other guns. I have seen them on ones such as the CZ24 pistol, the CZ38 pistol and even a French Ruby.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.