Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Platinum Bullet member
5,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I picked up this map last year at a local militaria show, the borders shown in red are conflict borders, Germanys' border now includes all of occupied Poland. Finland, Rumania and Bulgaria are also outlined in red, indicating their alignment with Germany.

UPDATE - I added some detail photos. The 1939 dated Turkish port is the only marking of it's kind on the entire map, I do not know the significance.

·
Platinum Bullet member
5,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Are maps of this nature common? I'd be interested in finding out an approximate value on this.

·
Registered
486 Posts
It appears to be a map put out for civilian consumption by a newspaper possibly. Most likely a propaganda thing but looks accurate and is rather unique. Can't imagine too many of these survived. Value would be what someone would be willing to pay, but since it is not military it would not be a great amount, I would think.

·
Platinum Bullet member
5,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Propaganda

It appears to be a map put out for civilian consumption by a newspaper possibly. Most likely a propaganda thing but looks accurate and is rather unique. Can't imagine too many of these survived. Value would be what someone would be willing to pay, but since it is not military it would not be a great amount, I would think.
I agree with your assessment, it does appear to be a map sold to the public to quell any fears about how the war is going. Definately not military in any case. I'm glad to have it, and I only spent $15 on it at a local militaria show last year.

I also have a Kriegsmarine issued map booklet that's serial numbered and issued to a specific commander, DEFINATELY military. It's of the North Atlantic Ocean and shows areas of ice coverage and iceberg flows by month. These were all supposed to have been destroyed but this one survived for some reason. I'll post photos of it in a separate thread.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts