Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had this posted in the K98 section but may be able to get some answers here as well. I kinda need help ASAP so any input would be great.

not sure where else to post this so i will try here. What would a deactivated German Machine Gun MG 13 be worth. the receiver is welded shut and a wooden dowel is in the barrel. seller is offering it for around $1500.

what do you think it value is. I know it hard to give an exact value without pictures but a price range would be helpful. I saw one for sale in Europe and it was $3000 euros. Do they bring that much here in the US? from my understanding the rifle is welded shut and all moving parts are also welded. the rifle looks complete and is not in pieces. No paper work is required for this rifle correct? I just want to make sure before I buy it.

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
I had this posted in the K98 section but may be able to get some answers here as well. I kinda need help ASAP so any input would be great.

not sure where else to post this so i will try here. What would a deactivated German Machine Gun MG 13 be worth. the receiver is welded shut and a wooden dowel is in the barrel. seller is offering it for around $1500.

what do you think it value is. I know it hard to give an exact value without pictures but a price range would be helpful. I saw one for sale in Europe and it was $3000 euros. Do they bring that much here in the US? from my understanding the rifle is welded shut and all moving parts are also welded. the rifle looks complete and is not in pieces. No paper work is required for this rifle correct? I just want to make sure before I buy it.
It sounds awful cheap to be on paper. That would be the first thing I would ask. Is it registered? If it is buy it. If it's not stay far away from an intact receiver.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I've seen a couple MG13's that were welded up. One at the old Richmond show back in the late 1990's and again another in Maryland at a Military gear show. Both were welded at the breach, and strange enough both were papered. They were offered for less than $2000 each, and most of the value was in the boxes of mags. One did have a problem in the papework was Amnesty paperwork that had the serial number receiver, but was missing a letter that had been stamped as a suffix. I was told by a "friendly" BATFE enforcement agent that that happened all the time, and NFA Branch often would ask for a photo of the serial number or they would send an Agent to physically inspect the receiver and original Amnesty paperwork. He advised that it often happened with MG34s that were Amnestied and strange enough with some MP40's in his career. If the number of a barrel (MP40/38) or front of the receiver of a MG34 had been registered vice the receiver number proper - they would ammend it and issue a letter............it would often take several months though.

Good luck, hope your MG13 is registered..............

·
Registered
2,648 Posts
Welded up is a really poor description and means no reasonable answers for you. IMA sold welded up dummies some years back but they were welded up torch cut parts kits. The guns had the bolt welded to the receiver and barrel and the receivers were not intact. Those qualify as dummy guns and need no paper. On the other hand if the receiver is intact but simply welded to the bolt than it does need to be registered. If its not than its contraband. If it is registered and has some sort of paper it can be restored. A wooden dowel in the barrel is meaningless. It isn't necessary in a dummy gun and only means someone stuck a wooden dowel in the barrel.

All this applies to the US and not other countries....since you didn't mention a location we can't help there either. You will need a much better description to get any meaningful answers. You don't need to post pictures though they help a lot more than a poor description. Just say whether the receiver has been cut and welded or any other pertinent info of that sort. Barrels are not controlled in the US other than for import so barrel info isn't that important. So basically value is unknown.

Frank

·
Registered
633 Posts
Look closely at the receiver section -

I have an MG13 dummy gun - the bolt is welded in place - when you open the top cover you can see it, at "first glance" it might look like a whole gun incorrectly demilled, and possible contraband -
However, closer inspection will reveal that the front section of the receiver, "the tube", or round section has been removed, and replaced with a piece of steel pipe - the right side of the receiver is missing and has been replaced with a flat of steel, welded in place, then painted.
Mine is a dummy, and totally legal to own, as there is actually only the rear left section of the original receiver left -
These are kinda hard to find now - so $1500 might not be bad - depends how bad you want it.

I have since acquired a whole "cut-up receiver" and will having mine finished as an ATF approved semi (MWMC) - it is still missing some small parts, and a serious amount of weld grinding.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts