Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Platinum Bullet member
7,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some of you may have seen this on the German forum. Was purchased from a seller in Israel. Marked DRGM. Has four box-end wrenches, and three open-end. Hammer head, spoke wrench, flat head screwdriver, and a bottle cap lifter. The notch on the palm, is a wire breaker, I think. (Like the one on some trench knives.) And of course, four finger stalls. It was listed as WWII, but I think earlier. Knuckles were pretty much banned world wide, in the 1920s'-30s'. Would be pretty rough on your palm as is. I think it had a rubber, or other material cover for there. My books, and much research have uncovered nada. Anyone ever seen such a critter. Whatever it is, I love it!:thumbsup:

Attachments

·
Diamond Member
4,292 Posts

·
Registered
877 Posts
trenchwarfare-A nice find, I don't know much about those thing, but I want get one too. Is there any book about knuckles?

tplan-thanks for the link, I am still laughing. Once I saw a young boy buying a brass knuckle and shopkeeper asked him why does he need them. The boy said that his father is a dentist and he needs more customers.

Rusnak

·
Registered
8,319 Posts
Way cool, Maggie wants to know if it has a bottle opener, I still do not like you Trenchy, you guts come up with some of the most interesting stuff
Gsu
Well Gus, it seems to have a bottle opener indeed. Second photo: the far left is a screwdriver, going one step down we see something that looks like a classic curved bottle opener, followed by the open hexagone for a nut. Curious as I am and knowing (since 1966) that the "Crown Cork Company" was the first to put on the market such "corks" ... and thinking the system couldn't be that old, I found that those metallic corks were older as I imagined, here is the link.
http://www.crowncork.com/about/about_history.php

·
Diamond Member
4,292 Posts
I didn't know about the Crown Cork Co. Thanks, Bc. The most interesting things always turn up here.

·
Registered
632 Posts
I wonder if the finger hole were designed for use as a weapon, or merely for holding the tool secure enough to use the hammer head? Of course as we all know anything could be used as a weapon if the need arises. Pretty neat item though, please let us know if you find out more about it.

·
Platinum Bullet member
7,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I believe, it was fully intended to be used a weapon. It has the old style finger stalls, that get progresssively smaller, from the index finger, to the pinky. Holding it that way, the hammer is upside down. Around the turn of the last century, the stalls were made all the same size. If you think about, there were many firearms, and other weapons designed to be easily carried on a bicycle.

·
Registered
8,319 Posts
"Brass knuckles" are still a forbidden weapon in my country. "Forbidden" means ... no way to acquire a permit for it (except you pay for a collectors permit ... not cheap!). Yes! ... you may laugh!
Something amusing: A young friend has, until now, the ONLY permit in the kingdom to collect "forbidden" edged weapons. We had a lot of fun during his quest to obtain that special permit. Nihil mirare! ... Let's not wonder about anything!

·
Platinum Bullet member
7,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
They're forbidden here as well. Unless they have attachments for use as a belt buckle. Or, billed as a "paper weight"

·
Registered
2 Posts
i actually own one of these but have only just found out how rare it could possibly be. does anyone know how much it would sell for? or if it is worth while keeping hold of (or hidden for reasons involving law) i'm from the UK. i have also noticed that i have two of those slits in the grip. and it also has the initials L E engraved on the grip too. any information would be much appreciated.

·
Platinum Bullet member
7,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Welcome aboard, WD88. I still, don't know any more than I did. All forms of older knuckles, must be considered scarce, as I have only run across about ten pieces, in fifteen years of paying attention to such. (three were duplicates) Notice, I didn't say searching for. If you really search for something, you WILL find it. Hard to put a value on these things. I paid, less than $100.00 US for mine. But, in another setting, with another buyer, who knows? Could you post pictures? If you are interested in selling, send me a private message.

·
Registered
8,319 Posts
here is a pic of my DRGM knuckle duster
This seems to be a "variant", note there are two "wire stripper"-openings on the handpalm piece.
I vividly remember the use of their aluminium knuckle dusters by the guardians of the Louvain Central Prison ... in order to open their pop- and Cola bottles;).
No ... not what you think ... I was in my teens and on the "right" side of the bars :tisk:

·
Super Moderator
Field Editor ~ GUNS Magazine, Co-Author ~ Serbian Army Weapons of Victory &PH - Kudu Safaris
11,751 Posts
Excellent items Gents!

I only wish!!!!.......I've come across several pair over the years that were "attributable" to WWI, however even Olga would be humbled by the treatment I would receive in CA if I were caught with any of these "paper weights" whether historical or not!

It's a FELONY, as in give up ALL of your firearms forever if you are convicted of possession of this type of paper weight!

I had to sell off my grenade cup collection several years ago when they decided to list them as "destructive devices!" My collection is too large and too valuable to risk owning ANY form of paperweight!

Even if none of you Gents live in CA, it would be worth the time and effort to make certain that they are legal in your state or city of residence!

Beautiful and historical collectible! Great find.

Warmest regards,

JPS

1 - 20 of 20 Posts