Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
An old freind of mine gave me this helmet about 30 years ago. It apears to be an m42 but it has the headband vent holes (one missing). The manufacturing stamp is L64, 5015. There is no stamp in the leather chin strap. I don't know id the paint and decals are origional either. Can any helmet experts tell me what it is ?

·
Gold Bullet member
1,045 Posts
Its trying to be a double decal Model 42 SS helmet, shell is probably authentic, double decal 42 SS helmets are extremely rare, Single decal SS would be acceptable in that model helmet,rivits show evidence of the liner being removed for repainting,,,so I would say you have a nice original helmet shell thats been upgraded with repaint and reproduction decals.

·
Gold Bullet member
1,045 Posts
You are correct normally its only the single decals that are seen, but with WWII German militaria I always avoid the absolute never statements as usually an exception can be found. In the Beaver book there are double runic 42's supposedly used by the Finns and in Hicks book converted Army 42s with the party decal placed over the army eagle and the runes added to the opposite side,

·
Banned
3,411 Posts
You are correct normally its only the single decals that are seen, but with WWII German militaria I always avoid the absolute never statements as usually an exception can be found. In the Beaver book there are double runic 42's supposedly used by the Finns and in Hicks book converted Army 42s with the party decal placed over the army eagle and the runes added to the opposite side,
Thanks! I agree about absolutes. I have both references in my office but am on the road. Looking forward to read up on this when I return. I am familiar with pics in various references (helmet/other) of SS foreign volunteers with unique config helmet symbols. Perhaps I am so jaded by all the fake and fantasy SS items I have seen and continue to see. Back to your absolutes comment though.

Scott

·
Banned
9,193 Posts
If I had to render an opinion on the pics it would not be favorable, sorry. Vent holed liner is likely postwar manufacture, the helmet likely being a postwar used/reworked W.German BGS or BW helmet. The decals are simply added, fakes. 30 years ago "SS helmets" were being made for the "collector" market. At one time there was a fellow with a briefcase full of original SS decals on their paper backing, that would sell them at shows. Those + Bill Maertz is where most "M.42 SS single decal" helmets came from. This is not one of those, however, as I think the decals bad.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
I've never seen an original M-42 helmet maker using the "upper case" L64 proofs; but there was a "lower case" ckl64 and these are common. Post war BGS helmets resemble the M-40 and the liners are adjustable. Many of them are stamped with LSxx. Can't see enough of that liner to say for sure what it might be.

Sounds like somebody repainted an original shell and put a repro set of DD's on it. There are a few reverse rhunic helmets with the SS decals on the left side (like an army eagle) and no party flag on the right side either.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.