Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Platinum Bullet member
19,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Damn, the photos didn't make it. Let me start over. Sorry bout that!

·
8,099 Posts
Hmmm...

Without having the opportunity to look at it first hand, it is hard to be sure. Being a reenactor I have never seen that big ink stamp so I can't be sure, but if I had to bet money on it just based on the photos I would say that it is a reproduction, the same with the chin strap. Now, someone else may have another opinion and examples of documented ink stamps from the same maker. I am going to move this to "John P. Sheehan’s World War I Militaria And Arms" where you can get some more opinions in case John, Bayonetcollector,. Gustaf B and others can give you their take on it. Don't do anything to it until you have more opinions, if real it is in very nice condition.

·
Platinum Bullet member
19,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Without having the opportunity to look at it first hand, it is hard to be sure. Being a reenactor I have never seen that big ink stamp so I can't be sure, but if I had to bet money on it just based on the photos I would say that it is a reproduction, the same with the chin strap. Now, someone else may have another opinion and examples of documented ink stamps from the same maker. I am going to move this to "John P. Sheehan’s World War I Militaria And Arms" where you can get some more opinions in case John, Bayonetcollector,. Gustaf B and others can give you their take on it. Don't do anything to it until you have more opinions, if real it is in very nice condition.
Hey! Thanks! The liner is not "new" & I have a trained eye for Japanese stuff, especially leather goods. I'd like to know if a "repro" like this is, or was, available. If a repro, why place the "Berlin 1916" stamp so close to the rear 'paper clip' rivet, that it's hard to see?
Repros, that are this good, outside my main field are... not so bad.

·
8,099 Posts
I'd like to know if a "repro" like this is, or was, available. If a repro, why place the "Berlin 1916" stamp so close to the rear 'paper clip' rivet, that it's hard to see?
Repros, that are this good, outside my main field are... not so bad.

Are they available? Oh yeah....

http://www.pflco.com/german.htm

http://www.schipperfabrik.com/ger_helmets.html

http://www.greatwar.com/

And others.

The stamp, whether original or repop was applied wherever, there is/was no rule that says it must be in a particular place. The current "best" are from Prairie Flower, the first link I posted above but Schippers are not bad, quite good actually. I am not sure that Great War is still selling the repros but you can check their site. I can say that the stamp is definitely not from Great War or Schipper since I know their markings very well, not sure about PFL, but it may be from one of the other companies that has made reenactor liners over the last 20 or so years. Most originals that I have looked at had a stamp (not ink) embossed on the hair side of the leather where it was plainly visible while in the helmet. Oh, be sure to scroll down to the bottom of each page, there is a lot there. And don't let the Schipper helmet camo job scare you too badly, just try to ignore it if you can...

·
Super Moderator
11,294 Posts
I'm not dead yet!....Just frozen!

Yo Arisakadogs, T.P., John Wall & Company

These liners are REALLY hard to judge from photos. Based on what I can see from the photo posted on the thread, my best WAG is that it's a repro. Perhaps one of the very nice examples coming out of Eastern Europe (A lot of this stuff is coming out of the Czech Republic) or possibly even one of the run that was made 15 or so years ago in Belgium. I have samples of both repro liners at home.

The edges of the leather liner band look too crisp and clean and absent of any signs of wear. There is NO apparent shrinkage of the leather liner band and the stitching looks too clean to be original.

The split pins, which are probably originals, were certainly NOT original to this helmet when it was painted. Both of the front split pins SHOULD show evidence of black paint since both fall square in the middle of the regulation black seperating lines that based on the cammo job on the helmet, should pass right over both pins. The right side pin has NO cammo paint at all and the left has a patch of green, which shouldn't be there based on the cammo pattern present on the helmet!

Like I said before, it's very hard to judge the high quality repros based on photos, however a first hand evaluation will generally provide one with an accurate evaluation. Nice helmet shell and a nice repro liner IMHO.

Hope this helps!

Freezing my ass off in Moscow!

JPS

·
Super Moderator
11,294 Posts
One more quick comment to the mods and regulars here.

I have noticed in the little time that I have been able to spend on the Forums since the last server change, that everyone is REALLY CLAMPING DOWN on OT posts. On this Forum I would like to please back off a bit.

We are all friends here and as long as the thread is in anyway related to WWI, firearms, bayonets, misc. etc. etc., let's please not jump up and down and move everything around. If it's a beef jerkey or beannie baby thread, by all means move the the Collector's Forum to piss of Tuco!

Also, as was the case here, if a thread can be moved somewhere more appropriate to getting the person an accurate answer or information, then by all means move it accordingly. Well done T.P.

Just my $ .02 worth.

Warmest regards,

JPS

·
Registered
4,283 Posts
Hi All,
I agree with John and TP, if this liner is not a reproduction, it is not the original to this helmet, the condition of the helmet is no where near to the condition of the liner, and I would find it hard to believe that a helmet would suffer so much paint loss with out the liner aging in some way. As far as this being an off topic thread, I disagree, this is about as on topic as one can get for this forum. Now I am going to go and post a beany baby thread on the cllectors forum to get even with Tuco for changing my avatar to a monkey last month.
Best wishes
ps, I still can not find your web site John.

·
Super Moderator
4,185 Posts
I have noticed in the little time that I have been able to spend on the Forums since the last server change, that everyone is REALLY CLAMPING DOWN on OT posts. On this Forum I would like to please back off a bit.

We are all friends here and as long as the thread is in anyway related to WWI, firearms, bayonets, misc. etc. etc., let's please not jump up and down and move everything around. If it's a beef jerkey or beannie baby thread, by all means move the the Collector's Forum to piss of Tuco!

Also, as was the case here, if a thread can be moved somewhere more appropriate to getting the person an accurate answer or information, then by all means move it accordingly. Well done T.P.

Just my $ .02 worth.

Warmest regards,

JPS
I agree, John. I've moved two threads during this time, both to a more appropriate forum (the militaria board and the current events board) one of them on the authors own request.

I'd say OT threads are no great problem, unless they are likely to turn into heated discussions about politics etc, the kind that might make things less friendly... And, several of the best laughs I've had on this forum came from OT replies...

That said I think moving this helmet post here from the Mauser forum was the right decision, also the threads about sporterizing/rebuilding Mausers that TP moved to the workbench forum.

Moving a post is not a negative thing, should not be seen as such, as long as it is moved to a forum that is more appropriate or where the questions can get better answers. Deleting a post is another matter entirely. :eek:

·
8,099 Posts
Oooops

Sorry Gus, the title is my fault. Arisakadogs originally posted this question on the Mauser Forum and I thought he might get more help here. Off topic (maybe) for the Mauser Forum but definitely on topic for this one.

·
8,099 Posts
Bayonetcollector, thanks. The threads that I move are usually about sporterizing. Then there are the occasional posts where someone has gone overboard and conversation has ceased and insults start - they are pretty rare. Don't get me wrong on the sporterizing thing, I have reservations about it but, as they say, it is your property for now and if you want to destroy it, fine, your loss and a loss for the future. Mostly I move those because people often start arguing and nothing is accomplished. I put them where they can be "appreciated" and help is available, and also try to thank the poster (often new to Gunboards) and explain the move by saying more help is available there. I hope that works, I rarely get a complaint. (Not that I hear anyway - maybe Tuco and Vic do.... :) )

·
Super Moderator
11,294 Posts
Aw c'mon John, it aint cold there yet!

Last time I was there in winter (Jan and Feb 2006), it was -38C on Red Square, at night (day was -22). Now THAT was cold - a real nut clencher shall we say :D

GOD, I MISS MOSCOW! :(

ZA RODINA!

Vulch,

Based on the look of your lovely Wife in the uniform thread, my best guess would be that I was freezing my ass of in Moscow when you were 5 years old! I've more than paid my dues here in terms of weather, vodka, lost brain cells and of course business deals!

However, thank you for chiming in and for NOT mentioning the Stalin and Lenin Beannie Babies!

Jerky anyone????

Warmest regards,

JPS

·
Registered
4,283 Posts
Shouldn't this thread be moved to the collector's forum now that it is a beanie baby thread?
Hats off to you guys that do the moderating, if you are not making some one mad now and then, you are not doing your job.
Best wihses
Gus

1 - 20 of 20 Posts