1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Platinum Bullet Member
8,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Platinum Bullet Member
42,216 Posts
Read about this awhile back, though it hadn't been decided at that time. GLad to see it is. Any man who serves his country has a right to be honored.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
No, they have a lot of such awards, here is one fine example

dont know why they need this, fat as they are

"German soldiers are 'too fat to fight' Taliban because they drink so much (while our boys go dry)

They drink too much and they're too fat to fight, that's the damning conclusion of German parliamentary reports into the country's 3,500 troops stationed in Afghanistan.
While British and U.S. troops in the country face a strict ban on alcohol, their German comrades are allowed two pints a day.
The stunning statistics reveal that in 2007 German forces in northern Afghanistan drank 1.7million pints of beer and 90,000 bottles of wine.
The troops also downed 896,000 pints of beer in the first six months of this year, the Times reported.

German soldiers prepare for a mission in Kabul. Last year Bundeswehr forces in northern Afghanistan drank 1.7million pints of beer and 90,000 bottles of wine
The statistics only add to the embarrassment of the country's federal army, Bundeswehr, after a report earlier this year found troops to be too fat, smoked too much and didn't exercise enough.
It showed they lived on beer and sausages while shunning fruit and vegetables.

The parliamentary report claimed that some 40 per cent of all German army personnel are overweight - a higher percentage than in the civilian population.
At the time Reinhold Robbe, the parliamentary commissioner for the armed forces, stated: 'Plainly put, the soldiers are too fat, exercise too little, and take little care of their diet.'
The Times also reported the damning allegation from a senior officer that Germany is failing in its main mission to train the Afghan police. He descibed the efforts as 'a miserable failure'."

·
Platinum Bullet Member
8,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Funny, those German Soldiers don't look so out of shape from my view. As for the drinking, ISAF Soldiers have been allowed to drink all along. The Americans have General Order #1, which forbids all Americans (civilian and military) from drinking.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
42,216 Posts
3500 german troops drank 1.7 million pints of beer and 90K bottles of wine in one year??? Did they find any time to do anything else???

I'm calling BS on this one.

·
Gold Bullet Member
1,732 Posts
Are the Germans' rules of engagement still defensive only? Drinking in moderation is an old tradition in the military, and while it sometimes got out of hand in Viet Nam (along with other drugs) we may be a bit too strict. Is still true that sailors and marines can have a beer after a year at sea?

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
thebohunk, I posted this on another forum:

Your calculation is not correct. As Chief of HQ/Suppurt Coy at Camp Fayzabad the recreation tent was under my command. Limit was 2 cans of beer a day per person. In our camp were a Czech company and a Danish company, after a hard day at 40° C they were thursty too. Plus we had representatives of GE Police, USAID, Foreign Office, Norwegian liason officers, the poppy eradication force from Dyncorp Int. , a lot of visitors from German and European parliament and NATO HQ from Kabul . Members of NGO`s from Fayzabad dropped in regularly to visit or PX and our recre. tent because it was the only acceptable waterhole south of the Tadshikistan and Chinese border. Of course we had problems with drunken soldiers once and a while but we have sent them back home immediately. I was suspicious that there must have been a moonshine distillery but I never found it.
Again, there where mostly more international personell in our camp than GE soldiers and I presume, that it was similar in Kabul, Kunduz and Mazar-e-Sharif.

As you all know GE Bundeswehr is a draft army. But drafties will not be sent to missions abroad and career soldiers have to pass a PPT before leaving Germany. But its true, drafties represents the youth of today and they are to fat in general.
Wolf

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
"was suspicious that there must have been a moonshine distillery but I never found it."

unusual brave, I hope you get this high order

or this special military merit badge

for it

1 - 8 of 8 Posts