Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked this trainer up yesterday, more as a project than anything else, and upon researching it I found that it was a fairly rare single shot training rifle as far as the Nazi era trainers go. I gave $250.00 for it.

g 001 (2).JPG

It was made for just one year (1933) before being discontinued for the much more common Geco Model 34 trainer the following year.

Sadly it's not without it's "warts" as there is a chunk of wood missing behind the bolt and a crack forward of it but I found a french walnut cut-down Mauser stock in my "box-o-wayward stocks" that I can get the replacement wood from. Not a easy fix but a doable one if I take my time. Good winter project.

It's matching and has a great bore and works fine as far as primer strike/ejection/extraction goes.....Nice crisp two-stage trigger too.

I don't think the sling is 100% correct, right hardware though for it to be parade slung with it's Gew sling set-up.

g 003 (2).JPG

Here's a ad from the era for the Model 33.

cache_7151977.jpg

· Registered
8,424 Posts
Just an opinion here:
I would be on the horns of a dilemma with this one. Given its age and authenticity.
Entertaining the thought of repairing the crack from the inside and letting the missing piece go.
Was it common for these to suffer in that area?

Price paid puts you in the lead. It certainly isn’t one of those “Looks almost real!” Norinco rifles.
If you have the means without a total refinish, it’s a coin flip. You have time to ponder before winter sets in. :)

· Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just an opinion here:
I would be on the horns of a dilemma with this one. Given its age and authenticity.
Entertaining the thought of repairing the crack from the inside and letting the missing piece go.
Was it common for these to suffer in that area?

Price paid puts you in the lead. It certainly isn’t one of those “Looks almost real!” Norinco rifles.
If you have the means without a total refinish, it’s a coin flip. You have time to ponder before winter sets in. :)
Yeah no hurry, but I have the skills.

· Registered
1,237 Posts
Definitely worth the effort on what was a great bargain. You paid well under market value @ $250. Pre-war German sporting and training .22s are generally great shooters. Enjoy maker 'er right again!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts