Gunboards Forums banner

German captured weapons proof code

2K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  cpw 
#1 ·
What code did Germans place on captured weapons? I was cateloging some of the pistols I got after my fathers death and came accross a FN made 32 cal. with the German proof code of WaA140 and was wondering if this is a captured weapon. Thanks in advance.

Jay

#3 · (Edited)
Jay, most likely the model you are referring to is an FN 1922. The WaA140 code was used in Belgium manufacturing facilities during Nazi occupation. Supposedly the FN 1922 models were a favorite of the Luftwaffe. I have a Nazi modified Czech Vz-24 with proof marks and eagles on the stock, the waffenampt for that one is "WaAKru" (or WaKru, I can't recall exactly) beneath the eagle on the right side of the buttstock.

#4 ·
Good gracious, Gunhorde! Some funny looking guy put a picture of himself on your message post! Quick, do something!

Poot

#7 ·
WaA140 is the most often used inspector's stamp on the M1922's made under occupation. The WW2 proof mark is an eagle ove swastika and indicates "proving" the pistol with a high pressure cartridge. Captured arms occassionally appear with inspection markings but those are uncommon and idiosyncratic. Soon after the FN factory was occupied by the Germans, pistols in process were issued and soon appeared with German inspection markings (a WaA613 if my memory is correct). WaA613-inspected M1922's appear now and then but not often. They might fall into the category of "captured" but not on the battlefield--in the factory.

#10 ·
A number of pistols were manufactured in whole or part and have the WaA613code. Then came the WaA103 code. and finally the WaA140 code. But they (Germans/FN) also made pistols without the WaA markings, but they had the Eagle/N marking instead.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.