Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

My family has had this bayonet for years. My Dad said he either received it from his Grandfather who fought in WW1 or one of his Uncles who fought in WW2. The markings suggest it was made by Weyersburg, Kirschbaum & Company (W.K & C near the hilt, with Kings Head and Knights Helmut) I have been trying to track down its origin for quite some time.

Can anyone offer some more information?
Is it real or a replica?
Is it really German?
What Era is it from?
What rifle is it designed to be mounted on?

Appreciated
R.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks

Thanks so much...

After about 5 years of research here and there and all I really needed to do was take a 1/2 hour and put together a post on this forum. Funny part is...there is a website where many bayonets are listed (including this one) where it is clearly identified. However I consistently missed the picture and link. I was so convinced it was of German origin. The next task is trying to identify how old it is.

Thanks again gents

R.

·
Gold Bullet member
853 Posts
Your bayonet was made between 1889 and 1893, by Weyersberg, Kirschbaum & Co. of Solingen, Germany. The King's Head and Knight's Helmet were commercial trademarks of W. K. & C., who produced bayonets for many nations prior to the First World War. Alex Coppel also made Danish M1889 bayonets, until the Danes could set up their own production line. We know that yours was made no later than 1893, on account of the pressed leather grips. In 1893, they changed to wooden grips. The M1889 was the standard infantry bayonet until 1915. I'm thinking that the "25 B. 389." represents the 25th Infantry Battalion, Weapon Number 389.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts