Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bit of a heart-breaker, but I couldn't pass it up for $10, just for the conversion and markings. But, when I started looking at it, it appears it may have been (possibly intentionally) changed to a mountable trench knife. The length and style are very close to several known examples of the fixable knives and I have to wonder if it was done during the "period."

Blade is 155mms., OA length is 275mm. and it still mounts perfectly. Condition..., well, you can see....

Well, will never know for sure but it's interesting and thought I would share.

Thanks for looking!
- MikeS

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Got several of these full length heartbreakers.
Yes, and that is one beautiful collection!! What an assortment of conversions. :thumbsup: I particularly like the "Deutsches Reich" stamped example. It it unaltered?

·
Registered
5,064 Posts
In this case not, when the pommel was changed for a rifle slot different from the origin slot for Vetterli, it would be nice to see the slot area same as there is probably german marking on guard, unfortunally the shortage could be made later and not as first. I believe there is Art.Dep.Magd. which means a artillery depot of Magdeburg,so place where the reworks of captured rifles were made, certainly the blade normally should have minimmum 25 cm or full lenght and was probably broken. Its a nice piece of history.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts