Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up this 98/05 Bayonet earlier today, was covered in dust and dirt but I took an oily rag and wiped it off. Metal and bluing looks very good besides some rust freckling on the right side of the blade. 1916 dated and made by "E.F. Horster Solingen". Don't know much about these but I figured $90 was a good price, especially since I needed one for my collection.

Didn't notice it at first but the push button is ground down. I read on one website that it is some kind of post-war alteration? Doesn't look like it was done anytime recently. Still fits and works on my K98A, just a little harder to get off. Can anybody give me some information about it?

The pictures make the rust look a lot worse than it actually is.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
if thats the blade length its a lot longer than i thought, the yugoslavs ground the blades parallel but then usually replaced the grips with smooth or with the grooves facing the opposite way to the Germans. These came in blue and white, have a look at mine on my site and compare it. it could be a between the war rework that has either been redone or was never issued as it looks very clean

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
if thats the blade length its a lot longer than i thought, the yugoslavs ground the blades parallel but then usually replaced the grips with smooth or with the grooves facing the opposite way to the Germans. These came in blue and white, have a look at mine on my site and compare it. it could be a between the war rework that has either been redone or was never issued as it looks very clean
Interesting, so you think it is some kind of Yugo rework or a German rework? I looked at the Yugo rework of a 98/05 on your page but I thought it looks pretty different compared to mine.

How long are 98/05 bayonets supposed to be?

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
actually i think its neither, the Jugo was a suggestion based on the straight blade, but they didn't shorten them, the Germans never shortened them that i have been convinced of, the Turks cut them shorter, the POles and Belgians left them full length. I can't tie it to anything official i know of (but that doesn't mean there isn't one) My fist impression was Chinese, as it looks a bit too good for bubba as the scabbard is shortened as well, which is not that easy, and the "bright" blueing is not typical pre WWII as it looks more chemical than heat tinted, and its definitely not phosphate. I woudl need to get books out and look at the blade marks, is therre anything on the spine? or at the top of the pommel?

·
Administrator
9,603 Posts
Bayonets with "Ground off Latch Buttons" were "Demilled" for general civilian sale in the 1920s. They could be used as Ceremonial daggers with veteran's uniforms ( the "undress" uniform of the German soldier for out-of-barracks wear was with Bayonet.)

As to the other questions ( grinding, lengths etc, only a side-by-side comparison would do...BTW, the Turks added a cross guard with Muzzle ring to all their Bayos, even the StG 84/98 and M98/05 used with the Gew.98 "H" Band M1898/37 Engineers Short Rifle ( 98% of all Turkish Mausers in the 30s had the M93/03 type Bayo cross Bar and stock band Lug.)

Doc AV

·
Super Moderator
Field Editor ~ GUNS Magazine, Co-Author ~ Serbian Army Weapons of Victory &PH - Kudu Safaris
11,750 Posts
This might be an Imperial era walking out bayonet that was reworked after WWI. I've seen a handful of examples over the years that have parallel shaped blades with 98/05 style crossguards, grips and pommels. If it is a cut-down reshaped 98/05, there should at least be Imperial markings on the back of the spine.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think my low quality pictures have made it look like the blade is completely parallel. The end of the blade is slightly thicker than the rest. I took some more pictures of it to capture it but I still didn't do a good job of showing it due to the angle. There are imperial markings on the spine and several other places on the handle, pommel and hilt, as well as the scabbard. There is one marking on the underside of the blade near the hilt (opposite end of where the date is) that looks like 4 dots if that means anything.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,556 Posts
Same opinion, shadows on the early pictures make it looks like a parallel blade, looks like normal S98/05 reworked, the blueing is most real postwar, there was slots added to screws, but the press button was flashed down,so probably in that case a not origin period german rework.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Looks like an obviously reworked former S98/05 bayonet. All probability was a "walking out" item. It was reblued, & nicely cleaned up. Looks like a WW1 S84/98 scabbard. Nice find. I have a similar type bayonet. Was a 1915 dated S84-98 bayonet. The crossgaurd was replaced with an S98 one, will only fit a Kar98a now. It also heavily blued in the original scabbard.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts