Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I acquired this bayonet recently and believe it to be a WWI German 84/98 Sawback made by Marienthal. I'm disappointed not to see an Imperial German cypher on the blade, but there are what appear to me to be inspection marks on the pommel. I'm relatively sure the scabbard is WWII vintage with the markings I see on it. I expect the frog is WWII as well, but I do see that it has brass rivets (if that means anything). The frog is dry and hard, so I'm afraid an attempt to remove it from the scabbard would not end well.

So, what do I have here, guys? Is the bayonet German WWI? The bayonet and frog German WWII?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
Field Editor ~ GUNS Magazine, Co-Author ~ Serbian Army Weapons of Victory &PH - Kudu Safaris
11,907 Posts
Hello Gents,

That is indeed a WWI era bayonet and while you would normally expect to see acceptance markings on the spine, the "RC" mark on the pommel pretty much says it all. The bayonet was originally rejected for one reason or another until the need for bayonets was great enough that they based acceptance on whether or not the bayonet was functional rather than accepting or rejecting it exactly per the established inspection standards. The bayonet was probably rejected before the spine was marked, which is a "best guess" as to why the spine is not dated or "RC" marked.

Hope this helps. Nice find!

Warmest regards,

JPS

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I found a reference that indicates that RC stands for "Revision Commission" along with the rest of the explanation as provided by TP in his excellent response above. This is why I enjoy being part of this forum!

·
Registered
5,898 Posts
The bayonet blade looks like little regrinded, but maybe not good visible on the photos, the scabbard and frog are probably from a 3R period as serialed, should be maker marked the scabbard on back side. Frog could be Weimar era.

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
I have a 98/05 n.A sawback that also has no spine marking or date, but it does, IIRC, have at least one stamp on the pommel, so I'll check that to see if it is a 'RC' mark or not. Incidentally, this one has the saw teeth going from left to right, not the regulation right to left...

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The bayonet blade looks like little regrinded, but maybe not good visible on the photos, the scabbard and frog are probably from a 3R period as serialed, should be maker marked the scabbard on back side. Frog could be Weimar era.
AndyB,

I think you are correct. It appears the cutting edge was reground some time along the way. It doesn't not look like a sharpening job by an individual soldier, but more like a machine ground edge that is uniform in bevel and edge. I suppose this detracts from the collector value, at least to some degree. This example is not pristine, of course, so I'm not too concerned about it. It's the first bayonet that I've owned with a saw back, so I'm intrigued by that feature for the moment.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.