Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up this German 2 cm flak round yesterday when a guy brought it into the shop where I work. I think it is a HE round with the red stripe denoting a tracer as well. Aside from a few handling scratches and some vise marks on the yellow paint it appears to be in excellent condition with no dents and most of the original markings and steel case lacquer intact. The components are dated with the fuse being 1940, the steel case 1941 and the projectile 1942. The explosive has been removed but the primer looks unfired. Best part was the price: $25.00!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Picked up this German 2 cm flak round yesterday when a guy brought it into the shop where I work. I think it is a HE round with the red stripe denoting a tracer as well. Aside from a few handling scratches and some vise marks on the yellow paint it appears to be in excellent condition with no dents and most of the original markings and steel case lacquer intact. The components are dated with the fuse being 1940, the steel case 1941 and the projectile 1942. The explosive has been removed but the primer looks unfired. Best part was the price: $25.00!

Excellent cartridge, however not 2cm flak. That is a 30mm cartridge for the MK 101. This same round, 30x184B, was also used in the more well-known MK 103. This cartridge in the MK 101 used a percussion primer and in the MK 103 an electric. Your primer the C/33 St is the percussion version. This cartridge is much more expensive and difficult to find in the United States than 2cm flak. You are very lucky! I will post some of my 2cm later for you to compare it to.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks very much for the correction and information. Please post pics of your 2 cm round! Based on what you provided ref this round it seems this particular cannon was used primarily in the HS 129 ground attack aircraft. Is this accurate?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Thanks very much for the correction and information. Please post pics of your 2 cm round! Based on what you provided ref this round it seems this particular cannon was used primarily in the HS 129 ground attack aircraft. Is this accurate?
Of course, glad I could help. It was indeed used in the HS 129, as well as the Bf 110. It was a good cannon but had some features that needed improvement. This is why it was fairly quickly succeded by the MK 103 which was used in many more types of aircraft than the MK 101 ever was.

Attached are some pictures of a 2cm HE-T round from my collection. One of my favorites, it's copper washed steel case looks brand new. Maybe I'll start a new thread tomorrow with some more of my German 2cm.
Brown Amber Ammunition Metal Brass
Brown Ammunition Amber Bullet Tan
Brown Amber Colorfulness Grey Metal

·
Registered
59 Posts
Thanks for sharing. That round is in stellar condition. Weird that mine has the "2C" marking in two places (hence my confusion) and your actual 2cm round has none. What denotes it as a tracer?
German ordnance can definitely be confusing. Early war shells came in two tracer colors, yellow and red. Because the body of the projectile was already yellow, those with yellow tracer had no band added. You can find early AP shells that do have yellow bands because those projectiles were painted black. To the best of my knowledge they transitioned away from having multiple color tracers later in the war.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.