Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Beautiful. I believe the private purchased versions of the S98 often had flat blades, not the service 'quillback' type of blade. But it looks like it has a chrome finish though, or at least it's well polished. What W.K.C. logo is stamped on the ricasso?

Since there's no proofmark on the spine, it's not a service model. There's no date either?

Do you have a photograph of the star mark? That has been associated with police issue bayonets, but I don't recall seeing any S98 with it. Nor do I have any written research to back that up.

I don't know frogs enough to say valid things about them so I'll skip that part ;-)

The troddel seems original though, officially the M1873 Mannschaftstroddel. Blue crown & slider / White stalk & tassel should be 4th. company, 1st. batallion. It's dirty, but I think originally it was white and blue.

PS: here's useful info on to how to correctly attach or tie the troddel to the frog: http://www.ir63.org/troddel.html

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Here the requested photos of the WKC mark and star on the spine. I removed the troddel and attempted the instructions as shown. The strap on mine is 8 inches long. And will not let me tie it as shown in the instructions.. it has been installed a long time as shown and I will leave it that way.

Attachments

·
Registered
108 Posts
Thanks! Andy is correct, it is a dress bayonet. This is the logo WKC used on private purchase blades, I have a KS98 style sawback with this logo.

Don't know much about the star shaped marking...

So, the strap is shorter than the one in the instructions? Can anyone here tell us why?

·
Registered
171 Posts
Thanks! Andy is correct, it is a dress bayonet. This is the logo WKC used on private purchase blades, I have a KS98 style sawback with this logo.

Don't know much about the star shaped marking...

So, the strap is shorter than the one in the instructions? Can anyone here tell us why?
Nice set. As Andy mentioned, the frog looks more like a WWII era combat frog. The rivets appear to be aluminum(?).

The short knot is often seen being worn with trench knives and is not that common compared to the standard length bayonet knot. They're grey rather than white. As for how it's tied, soldiers in WWI tied them in all sorts of ways. Threading the strap through the frog in a crisscross pattern was as common as wrapped around the waist of the frog, of course yours would be too short for that.

I've seen similar star marks on S98/05 bayonets that were said to be quality control marks. I'd guess that's what it is on yours too.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.