Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope this is the proper forum for this.

I am really wanting to purchase a new scope with a German #1 reticle. And I have hit a brick wall and beat my head against it! No one, not even German companies that I know of still makes this reticle!!

So if anyone knows of a company other than Leopold that makes the #1 reticle I would be eternally grateful. Thank you.

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
you are probably, as you describe, looking for a 'needle in a haystack'. i know what you're looking for since i happen to own one; came across it just by chance. it's an older European Zeiss or other brand. it's probably a 30 or 40 year old item by now.

not trying to be snarky but you seem to be aware that it's not available now, so rather curious how you expect to find a "new one". if you spend some time searching, you may be able to find an older one that is close to new condition. that's the sort of situation with mine. wish you luck, anyhow.

·
Silver Bullet member
48,451 Posts
464D202B-4311-4580-84AC-2F655C99A3C2.png Leopoldo closest I could fine..modified 1#

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
you are probably, as you describe, looking for a 'needle in a haystack'. i know what you're looking for since i happen to own one; came across it just by chance. it's an older European Zeiss or other brand. it's probably a 30 or 40 year old item by now.

not trying to be snarky but you seem to be aware that it's not available now, so rather curious how you expect to find a "new one". if you spend some time searching, you may be able to find an older one that is close to new condition. that's the sort of situation with mine. wish you luck, anyhow.
Thanks man! Haha I “expect” to find a new one with the hope perhaps I get the right person on the phone and maybe it’s a custom thing.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Why did companies quite making these reticles? Especially German ones, seems sacrilegious.

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
the scope companies, same as most others try to satisfy the market demand. they mfg what the buyers are asking for. the last few years, the market demand is for the complicated style scope reticles, which shooters want for their "tactical" rifles. there is not a lot of demand now for the old style basic type reticles. you will have to watch for the reticle you want, on the used market or find something new that is similar.

i like the old style reticles, same as you. there is not much similar stuff on the new market now. we are like the dinosaurs.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I think the older Weaver post reticle scopes are pretty close to the German #1. You can still pick up some of the older Weaver scopes from Ebay but they are pretty pricey now.

·
Silver Bullet member
48,451 Posts
Weaver 3x9 did have very similar..
companies catering to want to be snipers ..for hunting..

·
Platinum Bullet Member
47,506 Posts
the scope companies, same as most others try to satisfy the market demand. they mfg what the buyers are asking for. the last few years, the market demand is for the complicated style scope reticles, which shooters want for their "tactical" rifles. there is not a lot of demand now for the old style basic type reticles. you will have to watch for the reticle you want, on the used market or find something new that is similar.

i like the old style reticles, same as you. there is not much similar stuff on the new market now. we are like the dinosaurs.
this,

and in the American market, the demand was low to begin with, and as Frosty mentioned, every one now whats a Tacticool reticle,

Ironsight and other scope repair houses may offer a conversion

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Ok, thank you. I have noticed the shift to these complicated (some over-complicated IMHO) reticles and I don’t honestly get it. Part of the “tacti-cool” movement I suppose. I’m glad there’s someone else like me! Perhaps we should start a Dinosaurs club 😉

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

this,

and in the American market, the demand was low to begin with, and as Frosty mentioned, every one now whats a Tacticool reticle,

Ironsight and other scope repair houses may offer a conversion
Interesting thank you, and I agree about the “tacticool” crap. I assume Iron sight is a company?

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
hi again, 8mm_ mauser. out of curiosity, last nite i looked at German/EURO scopes on ebay. there are piles of them listed with #1 reticles. lots of choice to pick from from several sellers. they all have lots of positive feedback. i will probably be considering two or three of this type myself. my son has bought two or three in the past, with no issues. so the scopes with #1 reticles are available, just not in the US.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
hi again, 8mm_ mauser. out of curiosity, last nite i looked at German/EURO scopes on ebay. there are piles of them listed with #1 reticles. lots of choice to pick from from several sellers. they all have lots of positive feedback. i will probably be considering two or three of this type myself. my son has bought two or three in the past, with no issues. so the scopes with #1 reticles are available, just not in the US.
Thank you, I appreciate it. They were used right? And if a scope was listed for sale outside the US could I still buy it or is that illegal?

·
Silver Bullet member
48,451 Posts
Remember rear base adjustable most are.
some have two adjustments in scope body..
26 mm rings expensive if quality is desired.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I think the older Weaver post reticle scopes are pretty close to the German #1. You can still pick up some of the older Weaver scopes from Ebay but they are pretty pricey now.
Almost all the US based scope makers had some version of the German #1 reticle in their offerings. I have vintage post & cross hair scopes from Weaver, Leupold, Redfield and Bausch & Lomb on some of my rifles. Most US hunters and target shooters prefer duplex reticles though.
Gary

1 - 20 of 32 Posts