Gunboards Forums banner

generic value of 28/30's ??

2K views 21 replies 11 participants last post by  bones92 
#1 · (Edited)
not asking any one to value my rifle but was curious to the value of a 28/30.
in my case it is a 1938 with excellent bluing\\ SKY, gear circle with an "S" inside// boxed "SA" ON THE LEFT SIDE OF THE BBL AT THE RECVR,
"D" ON THE RIGHT SIDE...
a few other marks...
mike in co

#4 ·
Does it carry the CG stock cartouche shield with a 38 below it?

#5 ·
bolt is a 4 digit match, buttplate is a 2 digit match, mag is NOT a match.
the left finger groove has a circle "SYI"...think the i is an i and not an f,
has a cleaning rod
bore is clean and strong lands but not as good as some of the like new 91/30s i have seen.
left side of bbl has 36 gear circle s 00 (proof mark ?)
right side has s 5298, =S=

hex recver with a 3 line stamp on the right side
D after the 1938 date....is that the mod chamber ?

sorry vic no...only the one mark i could find.
mike in co

#6 ·
...any photos?...

#7 ·
Mike 76 is pretty close with his estimate. It really depends on the features and which way the wind is blowing that day. Do you own a grey blanket you can use for a backdrop??? (inside joke) LOL

There are a lot of variables that make a difference: condition of the bore and crown, metal finish, wood finish, stock or handguard cracks, missing screws, matching 2 digit number at rear of buttplate, CG inspection marks on top of buttplate, matching bolt, etc.

A 1938 might have a Civil Guard cartouche on the right butt stock that looks like an "S" in a shield with "38" under it, that would command a slight premium.

In my database there are 9 28-30s from 1938 that sold in the last 18 months, the average price was $487.33
Interestingly, the highest priced 28-30 I have seen sell was in that group, it sold for 912 on gunbroker last year and it did not have the 1938 cartouche.
I do not think this swayed the prices though, as I also included some from estate auctions that went very low.

#10 ·
Is it my eyes, or does the barrel shank and buttplate seem "shinier" than normal?...maybe it's just the camera lighting?...

...same with the stock-wood...seems "shinier" than it should be...probably just my eyes, they are gettin' a bit hazy, maybe!!...

...28/30s have been 'intriguing' me lately!!...[can't wait until I go pick mine up next week!!...heh heh!]

#12 ·
The metal finish looks normal to me but the wood appears to have been refinished with tru-oil or something like that... maybe I'm wrong, but that's the way it looks in the photos.

I've never seen a huge arrow like that on the top of the buttplate, that's pretty cool. Looks like a Helsinki CG number. How does it shoot?

#15 ·
The sling slots have: leather, canvas, etc rubbing against them all day. The Finns would stick their rifles butts in the snow to hold the rifle up. Anything that was use to finish/refinish the stock got slopped over them, etc. The sling slot escutcheons on this rifle look like they have been polished smooth. As if somebody intentionally wanted them shiney.
Don't get me wrong. I wouldn't kick that rifle out of bed and if it hit the trader at a mid-range of the market, I would be the first guy sending you a PM.

#16 ·
I am not sure about the finish - I think it is legit - Birch is a bear to make look correct - It is really white without finish.....not many replacement finishes can penetrate the wood grain and look decent & the grasping grooves and the top of the stock still has defined edges - Bubba really rounds these areas. Bubba also usually trashes the handguard as well.

Nice rifle!

Pahtu.

#18 ·
sk scope mounts...
scopemounts.com
he has an entire catalog of solid mounts which do not interfere with the value of a rifle
the scope required is a long eye relief..LER... the one on mine is 2-7 and is 40 bucks from opticsplanet.com
most us made scopes are limitied to around 2x...
AIM also has some one in a 30 mm tube...

mike in co

#19 ·
ok..but this rifle does not look issued.... well not carried nor abused....
the toe of the butt stock has wear as does the butt plate....
but it looks like the damaged wood has finish on it...so maybe it is refinished....
but would need someone better than me to make the call...
is it possible that it was an indoor rifle and kept in good shape..
a guard or such ?
i got no idea..but i do like it...

WHAT WERE THESE USED FOR ???
mike in co

#21 ·
I will not make a firm judgment on the finish until I see pics with proper lighting or handle the rifle in person. Finnish finishes can be notoriously shiny in pictures sometimes, especially with a camera's flash. My impression from the picture provided is that the finish it is 'off' in some way though.

#22 ·
It looks like a legit replacement stock. The rifle was probably refurbished by the Finns after the Continuation War. I think it saw light duty after being reissued.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.