Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Gold Bullet member
4,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

I've just heard a rumor that AKs will be experiencing a rather major price reduction soon. Has anyone else heard this? AIM's newest batch of PSLs is even lower than their previous offerings...just slightly above $500 for what appears to be a Cugir-made example. If true, this might be a good time to stock up on some cheap unfired extras for your personal barter/trade bin.

Keith

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Prices have been falling a lot as of late anyhow. Who would have thought a year ago that we would be seeing AKs for less than $400 again?

Recently, CFS had the $350 AK-74 deal, with free shipping and a pack of mags. There reaches a certain point where you can't make money selling something....How far below 350 is it?

·
Banned
10,843 Posts
It is both good and scary.

Good because most of us here want to buy some.

Scary because some of us, like me, do not have jobs and should not buy anything. Also scary because things in Europe must be looking even worse than they are here.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I'm already seeing the Saiga sporter AK-types in .223 and 7.62 for $320......lower than I've ever seen ANY type of AK.

If the WASR's drop to $300 I might need to get the 5.45 and .223 to go with my 7.62x39 WASR-10. Hope they bring in some RPK clones.

I think what we're seeing is the "stall".......... so to speak, of the panic/frenzy of Nov. 08.......everyone who ran out and bought everything autoloading they could lay hands on already has their "stash" and the economy is still down, so people aren't buying as many guns as they used to. No-bama et. al. has his hands full with other unpopular agendas, i.e a 2 front war and health care and is as yet leaving gun owners alone, plus individual states are fighting to get rid of some of the stupid gun laws and actually make things better, like Utah and PA....so the feared "ban" everyone thought was imminent just never happened, and I feel His Greatness in D.C. is unsure if he wants to take on the anti-gun fight right now, with so much else going on, because he knows it will be a long, tough and bitter fight and he already knows now, that term #2 is in serious jeopardy as people become disenchanted.

I think Cugir, Saiga and whoever else started cranking out AK-clones as fast as they could get them out the door and we are seeing a "glut" now as importers stocked up to make the bucks off the panic buy and now can't move what they've got. The AK-clones aren't like surplus, like CZ-82's and Mausers where there is a fixed amount of them and people know that, the AK-clones are made every day and fresh ones come in all the time, so there is no "rarity" or collectibility to price on them.

·
Gold Bullet member
4,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Also scary because things in Europe must be looking even worse than they are here.
Agreed. Considering the Dollar's rather dubious position, things in Europe must be looking grim indeed for it to be gaining strength there.

The rumor I heard (from a local 01 distributor) had a specific date of May 10 to see these across the board reductions. I guess we don't have too long to wait and see if the rumor holds true.

Keith

Keith

·
Registered
6,001 Posts
I am expecting to see some importers, distributors, and manufacturers going out of business.

Prices are really good now. I have been picking up magazines at 50% of what they were a year ago. $53 Molot RPK74 in new condition - just incredible! 3 years ago they were $150.

·
Registered
959 Posts
I don't think you're going to see much, if any, of a dip in current prices. A quick Googling of a few years ago (2005) and you could get single-stack WASRs for $199 and double for around $300. The difference between then and now (ignoring the economy, exchange rates, labor, etc) is barrels; I believe the only exception is for sporting configuration (Saiga), but every barrel from here out must be US made which will keep the prices more than 2005.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
I agree with UPdownLoAD, just look at the price of parts kits now. Hard to find one with a barrel for less than $200. After you add a barrel, 922r parts and a reciever or flat, you'd might as well buy a WASR

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
With an imported gun, the barrel isn't an issue; its attached to the gun, never giving it the false value of $200 that we have in the states. It's my understanding that the guns are imported in "sporting" configurations and then modified to our tastes here, thus coming in with an intact barrel. The real issue would then be the cost from the factory (fairly cheap) combined with transportation and compliance parts. I can't see these getting much less than $350, but I hope I'm wrong..

I do agree though, that kit building is about a waste of money at this point. Unless you have a pile of kits already, along with the tools to build them, it doesn't do much good..

·
Gold Bullet member
4,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The new parts kit coming over are now by law sans barrels as well as receivers, necessitating the use of US barrels. Some older kits can still be bought, but they are becoming fewer and farther in between.

Keith

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
The new parts kit coming over are now by law sans barrels as well as receivers, necessitating the use of US barrels. Some older kits can still be bought, but they are becoming fewer and farther in between.

Keith
That is correct, but saigas and wasrs are imported as complete guns,with barrels...so the barrel law doesn't affect them pricewise. I haven't bought one of the century builds b/c I can't imagine buying an AK without a chrome lined barrel. Likewise, some of the current US barrels don't seem to meet my ideas of quality.

·
Registered
490 Posts
I just wish some of the gunshow vendors would come close to matching internet prices. Most want 450 for a wasr10. Cheapest I saw was 400 at the last show. I dont get it. Guess they dont want any sales.

·
Gold Bullet member
4,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That is correct, but saigas and wasrs are imported as complete guns,with barrels...so the barrel law doesn't affect them pricewise. I haven't bought one of the century builds b/c I can't imagine buying an AK without a chrome lined barrel. Likewise, some of the current US barrels don't seem to meet my ideas of quality.
Ah, I see your point. It seems the conversion of a Saiga in 7.62 or 5.45 would be the best way for many to get as close to an 'authentic' AK as generally available. I guess we'd better hurry before they close that 'loophole' as well.

Keith

·
Registered
118 Posts
I am more interested in "falling prices" on mags, slings, wood stocks, and ammo.

With the financial problems surfacing in Europe, I wonder if some Euro related countries will start dumping parts and ammunition to increase cash flow?????

Ken

·
Copper Bullet member
443 Posts
i recently got a new saiga 7.62 its was 330$ out the door after tax in college station, tx. i have seen that price around on the net too. more cheap parts sounds like music to my ears.

·
Silver Bullet member
12,927 Posts
rcbif, 450 isn't bad at a retail level. they are about 400 shipped, they have expenses, a 50 buck profit ain't bad on a 400 dollar item. what's "internet" prices..... 379 plus 20 shipping plus 25 tranfer? i buy as cheap as i can, too, but if you don't make a profit, you don't stay in business.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
7,491 Posts
I am expecting to see some importers, distributors, and manufacturers going out of business.
That is a big concern as it would result in a choke point in the supply. The results would be increased prices and a very easy target for the antis.

·
Silver Bullet member
6,214 Posts
I am more interested in "falling prices" on mags, slings, wood stocks, and ammo.

With the financial problems surfacing in Europe, I wonder if some Euro related countries will start dumping parts and ammunition to increase cash flow?????

Ken
I won't speak to the motivations of governments, but I do believe that the recent decrease in AK prices will soon be seen in across the board reductions in the price of surplus ammunition. Decreases in 7.62 x 39 prices are already becoming apparent.

Of course, the threatened implosion in the value of world currencies will result in explosive inflation, (if it comes to pass). This would cause a rapid re-increase in prices. Who knows? :confused:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.