Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Diamond Bullet Member
40,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New reports coming out about the affair between former CIA director David Petraeus and his biographer Paula Broadwell reveal there was a third woman involved that led the FBI to discover the affair.

David Petraeus' resignation from the CIA was announced yesterday after it was revealed he had an affair with his biographer Paula Broadwell starting sometime around August 2011. Theories started swirling that Broadwell's husband, Scott, emailed New York Times Magazine's Ethicist columnist Chuck Klosterman asking for advice. Previously, the FBI said they'd discovered the affair when they thought someone tried to hack into Petraeus' personal email account.

Well, things just got weirder. Officials told the New York Times' Scott Shane and Eric Schmidt FBI officials were investigating a complaint made by an unidentified third person that Broadwell was "harassing" them. The Washington Post's Sari Horowitz and and Greg Miller report the third person was actually a woman who Broadwell thought was a threat to their affair.

The unidentified lady was rattled enough by Broadwell's harassing emails that she reported her to the FBI, who then started investigating Broadwell's email accounts. While the FBI were looking through Broadwell's emails for their harassment investigation they discovered risqué communiqués that revealed the affair with Petraeus. "We were stunned," a source told the Times.

From the sounds of things, the mystery lady discovered the affair and Broadwell freaked out. Officials stressed to the Times and the Post that the affair was very much an isolated event within Petraeus' social circle. "People think that because it’s the C.I.A. director, it must involve bigger issues," one source told the Times. "Think of a small circle of people who know each other."

·
Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet Member
58,493 Posts
Well, if I was the husband of Broadwell, I would want DNA tests on the kids.

·
Diamond Bullet Member
40,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
In Florida, it wouldn't matter. The husband at birth is the father-regardless of DNA. He has to pay child support.

·
Silver Bullet member
34,386 Posts
Sounds like the general got around a bit more than we have known heretofore.

·
Silver Bullet member
48,738 Posts
looks as though he was standing at attention in many bedrooms.....charging with his battle protein sword!

a good commander....this does not dismiss devalue that!:thumbsup:

·
Silver Bullet member
48,738 Posts
nothing would have changed!

·
58,493 Posts
In Florida, it wouldn't matter. The husband at birth is the father-regardless of DNA. He has to pay child support.
Used to be that way here, but with DNA tests, things have changed somewhat - which is only fair.

·
Silver Bullet member
36,346 Posts
I'd bet that the announcement of his resignation was delayed until after the election.

·
Registered
7,908 Posts
..Clyde, we need your expertise....The General had this affair while on duty in Afganistan. The lady he...uh...er...embeded is a reserve officer in the Army, not active except we assume, between the sheets. She is not a general. Is this a violation of UCMJ , other than the adultary ?

·
Silver Bullet Member
563 Posts
..Clyde, we need your expertise....The General had this affair while on duty in Afganistan. The lady he...uh...er...embeded is a reserve officer in the Army, not active except we assume, between the sheets. She is not a general. Is this a violation of UCMJ , other than the adultary ?
^This.

·
Registered
7,560 Posts
http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2012/11/10/who-authorized-fbi-surveillance-of-petraeus

Who Authorized FBI Surveillance of Gen. Petraeus?

Even by the standards of the friday afternoon news dump tradition, yesterday's news that Gen. David Petraeus had resigned from the CIA was a stunner. The most heralded military officer of his generation fell from grace after it was revealed he'd had an affair with his biographer. The affair was discovered earlier this year soon after the FBI began monitoring his email. This raises a very serious question. Who authorized the FBI to monitor the e-mail of the Director of the CIA?

The Director of the CIA is one of the central individuals responsible for America's national security and intelligence. His communications would, by their very nature, be one of the nation's closest guarded secrets. According to FBI sources, the Bureau began surveillance of his email communication in the Spring of this year, after an email Petraeus sent to his biographer, Paula Broadwell, was misinterpreted to reference possible corruption.

First question: How did that initial email come to light? Second question: Who authorized the Bureau to pore over all his email communication? We are talking, after all, about the Director of the CIA. That cannot have been a decision made by a junior staffer at DOJ. I doubt that even the Director of the FBI could authorize the surveillance of a critical member of America's national security team.

Is this a decision Eric Holder can make? Or, does it come under the exclusive purview of the White House?

Third question: Who were the agents given access to Petraeus' communications? Presumably, they read a lot of emails that weren't related to the past affair and likely contained top secret and classified information. What security clearance did these agents have?

According to several news accounts, the FBI investigation uncovered thousands of emails between Petraeus and Mrs. Broadwell. The nature of their relationship would have been clear immediately.

So, exit question. If the investigation began in the Spring, why did the Bureau sit for so long on the revelations about the affair? We are told now that an extramarital affair by the Director of the CIA is itself a breach of national security. If that's true, why didn't the FBI move immediately to force his resignation?

Of course, in an election year, this is a question which answers itself.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
It should be noted that Petraeus is a Republican and also the greatest counter insurgency fighter in American history. My friend in the British Army (they have a lot of experience in ConINS) said Petraeus is looked at as a genius. We all make mistakes.

·
Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon
93,661 Posts
Probably no UCMJ violation other than adultery. A reservist NOT on duty is treated as a civilian, no chain of command issues. He is now retired, not a chance he will be recalled to duty to face charges.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Probably no UCMJ violation other than adultery. A reservist NOT on duty is treated as a civilian, no chain of command issues. He is now retired, not a chance he will be recalled to duty to face charges.
They could, but it would involve security risks. (This may be why it took so long to drop the hammer on him in the first place.)

As for shielding the Obama campaign, that does not make a lot of sense to me. Patreaus is a Republican. Another example of why they need to be watched more closely when they get into a position of power. The only propoganda value I see in the delay is that it does not look like Obama is doing it to screw up the strongest potential rival to the next Democratic nominee for POTUS in 2016. Not worth as much as the effect of being seen removing a dud from the payroll.

·
Silver Bullet member
48,738 Posts
LEFTY----I'm sure he used protection:)
took few risks, had excellent closed mouth security measures set up while out of the country...
all from good "in-tail" and many up close observations..:eek:
INSURING many positions of power......:grin:

with all that its in place thats what took so long to get him caught...:cry:

·
Registered
7,908 Posts

...Thanks. Didn't know that. "A cadet will not lie, cheat , steal, or tolerate those who do." Both him and her are Academy grads. I wonder how many times they thought about those words. A bio I read said she'd been active twice since 9-11. Might be interesting to know where and when. The Lefties I read, NYT, Commenters, are truly perplexed as to why he thought he needed to resign. When you have no identifiable ethical standards, understanding folks that do can be a puzzle.

·
Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon
93,661 Posts
...Thanks. Didn't know that. "A cadet will not lie, cheat , steal, or tolerate those who do." Both him and her are Academy grads. I wonder how many times they thought about those words. A bio I read said she'd been active twice since 9-11. Might be interesting to know where and when. The Lefties I read, NYT, Commenters, are truly perplexed as to why he thought he needed to resign. When you have no identifiable ethical standards, understanding folks that do can be a puzzle.
Apparently the boss-man (not B. Hussein, the new over-all super intelligence chief) told him "You need to resign". And Petraeus agreed, it appears.

The Academy honor code is the same one we had at A&M. "An Aggie does not lie, cheat or steal, nor tolerate those who do", and i saw a dorm thief return from class one day to find his bags packed and waiting for him outside and folks who let him know he needed to find a new place to live, because he wasn't coming back in. Sometimes that sort of thing can get taken quite seriously. Whether either Petraeus or Broadwell thought about that once they weren't cadets anymore - dunno.

·
58,493 Posts
I recall reading somewhere that it started after that. True or not, I do not know.

1 - 20 of 86 Posts