Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I came across a listing on GB simply listed as Tanker Mauser with no pics. I usually don't even bother with these kind of listings but decided to shoot the guy an email asking for pics. He then put up an overall shot of the rifle, all I could tell was that it was pretty short and that it was a Mauser. So I sent another email asking if it was 8mm and if he could tell me what was marked on the receiver. He says a crown with a J, he spelled out the entire FN stamp for me and said it was marked GEM POL. I was at the grocery store when that email showed up on my phone. So now I'm thinking do I try and get this thing for a steal or just hit the buy it now of $325. I went ahead and hit the buy it now while standing in the grocery store. This ended up being a good thing I think because he posted all the pictures of the markings after I asked what was stamped on the rifle.

Any idea if the muzzle cover is original or if someone stuck that on there?

·
Registered
13,903 Posts
That's an old German-style muzzle cover. It was put on this rifle because it fits, not because it belongs.

Once I saw those pictures, and with a BUY NOW of $325, I would have probably broken my finger trying to hit that button! IMHO, you got it for a GOOOD price!

I suspect that it would have gone for more if bidding was allowed to continue on it.

Three weeks ago, I sold a Bubba'ed Serbian short-rifle version of just about the same rifle at a LGS for $50 more than you paid, and I felt I let it go cheap. It was an all-matching Model 1924, still with the Serbian Crest, but it had been rebarrelled to 7mm Mauser, using a Belgian-Proofed barrel (the only non-original part on the rifle).

The biggest visible difference between yours and mine was my Serb had a straight bolt handle.

·
Platinum Bullet Member and Certified Curmudgeon
15,769 Posts
Great find! Steal of the week award.

Regards,
Bill

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.