1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Silver Bullet member
3,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Gold Bullet member
2,597 Posts
IMO the gun has been restocked,the wood shows a detail no Geco has ever shown, the peep scope is also unusual

·
Silver Bullet member
3,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Raul-
There is no evidence of any other rear sight ever being on the rifle- no dovetail in the barrel.
The stock has no markings anywhere, even barrel channel or under buttplate, so it may be a replacement.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Here is an original stock although your model seems to be a little more complex than mine. Mine's a simple tiny boy's rifle without the device and piece of metal at the rear of the receiver. These were made starting in 1919 and I imagine into the 20's.

·
Silver Bullet member
28,330 Posts
Okay, check this out.

I have a Winchester Model 1890 with the same markings on the barrel! Pictures are attached.

My theory right now is either someone took the Geco Barrel and adapted it to the Winchester action. But that just seems so odd that it would be proofed there as well.

P.S. Hey Reddog. could you please post close-up pics of your front and rear sight? Was wondering if they look like the ones on this Winchester-Geco Hybrid

·
Copper Bullet member
4,850 Posts
There is a whole thread buried here somewhere on the GECO 22.
Seems, surprise, originals are worth a few hundred bucks!
I have grandpa's that passed down through the family and has collected dust under more beds...

·
Gold Bullet member
2,597 Posts
Geco is a very interesting maker, among the rifles I have made by this company the nicest is a DSM34 Military Trainer-

·
Silver Bullet member
3,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Raul, are you familiar with a Geco model 33 trainer? I have one that looks like a DSM 34, but the stock may have been duffle cut. It only has one band, and looks as though the stock should continue to the step in the barrel.

·
Gold Bullet member
2,597 Posts
No,never heard of the Mod 33, if possible post a pic of the rifle, it would be interesting -

·
Silver Bullet member
3,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No,never heard of the Mod 33, if possible post a pic of the rifle, it would be interesting -
I will shoot some pics when the rain stops. I don't have much luck with indoor pictures. Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
356 Posts
mkgr22,
On page 247 of Speed's book there are several line drawings of the Geco Model 33, Neu Wehrsport-Modell Sportsbüsche. It is a commecial model and is your rifle however the lower stock extends out another 8" or so to within inches of the front sight. It appears yours has been cut. The handguard is correct though.

·
Silver Bullet member
28,330 Posts
Does anyone by chance know the size of that rear dovetail? I am wondering if there is a better rear sight that will drop in.

·
Silver Bullet member
3,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
mkgr22,
On page 247 of Speed's book there are several line drawings of the Geco Model 33, Neu Wehrsport-Modell Sportsbüsche. It is a commecial model and is your rifle however the lower stock extends out another 8" or so to within inches of the front sight. It appears yours has been cut. The handguard is correct though.
Thanks, reddog! Does the end have any barrel band or bayonet lug? I've wondered about cannibalizing an old stock to add an extension.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts