Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Gold Bullet member
2,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a Garand stock years ago. It was painted black and looked like a good fix for my Blue Sky Garand's beat to death hyper-sanded stock. When I stripped the black paint, I found a light colored spacer/repair toward the front. Naturally I was disappointed, but I have learned to live with it.

Does anyone know the story of these stocks....assuming there is more than one?

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Can you post a photo? My money says it is an Italian M1 rifle stock for the 7.62 Nato M1... it is 0.5 inches shorter than a standard M1 stock. They were "stretched" to make them usable for standard M1 rifles by adding a 0.5 inch spacer, and then stained a very dark color to hide the splice (splice was fabricated of light colored wood). They used to be fairly common.

P.S. If there is a stamping of the letters MT in the buttstock, it is most definitely an Italian 7.62 M1 stock.

·
Gold Bullet member
2,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dan,

I think you hae hit the nail on the head. Thanks. BTW, was this alteration done overseas or in the US?

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
It is my understanding that it was done here... someone must have bought these cheap since there are not too many shortened 7.62mm M1s here, and saw an opportunity to make some money by stretching them. Northridge International used to sell them, don't know if they stilll do.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts