Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Garand Sniper M1C premiers in the World at WAR, 1945 episode at the Battle of Luzon! WWII is winding down worldwide, but Japanese are fighting to the bitter end.
US Army Sgt Ski, is back in the action and this time he takes on numerous targets up to 700 yards (watch to the end!) with his trusted M1C Garand! Can Americans win Battle of Luzon with his help or maybe Japanese will push them back with their sniper rifles?

Happy Thanksgiving!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Great fun, Thank you! Question: with the 'scope offset to the left, the choice is to either zero at one range (say maybe 300 yards) which then would require holding off not only for elevation but also laterally (as the line of sight and line of flight would progressively diverge beyond the zero range) or to "zero" so that at any range bullet impact would be slightly right of the line of sight. What did they do?

·
Premium Member
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Great fun, Thank you! Question: with the 'scope offset to the left, the choice is to either zero at one range (say maybe 300 yards) which then would require holding off not only for elevation but also laterally (as the line of sight and line of flight would progressively diverge beyond the zero range) or to "zero" so that at any range bullet impact would be slightly right of the line of sight. What did they do?
It's really not a big issue. I zero it usually with 1" to the left ay 100yds - fine tune it at 450 / 500yds - this really becomes a wash.

·
Premium Member
2,151 Posts
Very Good Rob, these are enjoyable 'contests'.... speaking of the Japanese tenacity. I look forward to the T97 vid...I've had better reloading luck with the round nose in that rifle and not the spitzer btw.

The last Japanese soldier to surrender was Hiroo Onoda who surrendered on March 9th 1974, he survived in the Philippine jungle for 29 years. Can you imagine.
We had our own Japanese soldiers in the 'Go For Broke' 442 Regimental Combat Team that fought in Europe. My friend John Onoda's (a name coincidence) Father was soldier in that unit awarded a Silver Star. A fine family.

Keep it up.... we enjoy the bullshit talk too.

·
Premium Member
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Very Good Rob, these are enjoyable 'contests'.... speaking of the Japanese tenacity. I look forward to the T97 vid...I've had better reloading luck with the round nose in that rifle and not the spitzer btw.

The last Japanese soldier to surrender was Hiroo Onoda who surrendered on March 9th 1974, he survived in the Philippine jungle for 29 years. Can you imagine.

We had our own Japanese soldiers in the 'Go For Broke' 442 Regimental Combat Team that fought in Europe. My friend John Onoda's (a name coincidence) Father was soldier in that unit awarded a Silver Star. A fine family.

Keep it up.... we enjoy the bullshit talk too.
Yes, I read about Onoda. Literally jaw dropping. I don't know if that's true or not, but I read that he only surrendered when they brought back his commanding officer from the Japan to tell him that it is over...

·
Premium Member
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Another great video in the sniper series!!! Bill Fairless and Rob Ski have proven the "C" can shoot. Some of you may know Bill but not have heard the news. Bill shot a 200 out of 200 at the CMP Games in Oklahoma with the Kollmorgan scope on it.
Tony, between just two of us we have numerous Garands which can shoot the lights out. And this M1C doesn't have perfect bore at all. Makes you wonder how well "brand new" would do...
I would love to get Garand with Kollmorgan scope. I'm not surprised that Bill shot perfect 200.

·
Premium Member
2,151 Posts
Yes, I read about Onoda. Literally jaw dropping. I don't know if that's true or not, but I read that he only surrendered when they brought back his commanding officer from the Japan to tell him that it is over...
That is true... his old Commander was brought there and used a megaphone to basically order him to surrender.
The survival skills he talked about after were amazing... he was rightfully revered in Japan upon his return. Samurai.

·
Gold Bullet member
13,893 Posts
Great shooting and video, as usual.

Did you have a regular M82 with post reticule? I hate a post. You would definitely like the 4X KM USMC scope a lot better.

I had some ammo from that company. It was loaded with pulled Soviet bullets and shot OK.

Last M1Cs I heard of from CMP were in lower condition. Sounds like many of them shoot OK anyway. A new barrel could always be added since most all they had had non-original barrels anyway. I got to CMP a week or two after they first got them. I pushed the plastic and picked what I considered the best two. I wanted matching bracket. Before these only about 3% of known confirmed examples had that with WW2 type numbering. I also wanted an original barrel. They had zero with those two things. There was a whole row of examples with only 2 slots empty so I am guessing at least 50 rifles to choose from. There were three with matching WW2 style numbered brackets and I picked the best two. Both barrels were like 1 and 1+ bores. Was getting ready to leave and saw the Kimber 22s. They were beautiful so had to get some more forms and go back to the cage after picking out the best of the lot with a tiny scratch on the stock, which they all had to a varying degree.

Glad you got a good one.

·
Premium Member
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Great shooting and video, as usual.

Did you have a regular M82 with post reticule? I hate a post. You would definitely like the 4X KM USMC scope a lot better.

I had some ammo from that company. It was loaded with pulled Soviet bullets and shot OK.

Last M1Cs I heard of from CMP were in lower condition. Sounds like many of them shoot OK anyway. A new barrel could always be added since most all they had had non-original barrels anyway. I got to CMP a week or two after they first got them. I pushed the plastic and picked what I considered the best two. I wanted matching bracket. Before these only about 3% of known confirmed examples had that with WW2 type numbering. I also wanted an original barrel. They had zero with those two things. There was a whole row of examples with only 2 slots empty so I am guessing at least 50 rifles to choose from. There were three with matching WW2 style numbered brackets and I picked the best two. Both barrels were like 1 and 1+ bores. Was getting ready to leave and saw the Kimber 22s. They were beautiful so had to get some more forms and go back to the cage after picking out the best of the lot with a tiny scratch on the stock, which they all had to a varying degree.

Glad you got a good one.
I have M82 with post only (not on this rifle) and I hate that "reticle" with passion. That was extremely bad idea...at least with horizontal lines you have some reference point...
This rifle has a crosshair style reticle.

·
Gold Bullet member
13,893 Posts
Thanks Rob. Yea, I hate the post type big time. It may work on human targets OK but shooting a group with one is a real challenge. IIRC the M73, M-81 and the "b" serial numbered series of Lyman Alaskan are all correct for the M1C and have a crosshair. The most common, the M-82, has a post. The best to use for shooting is a regular commercial Alaskan to save the original or correct scope IMO.

Thanks for the great video and all the work you do and thanks to the folks that have helped you to make all the videos possible.

Congratulations to Bill on a 200 amazing score with a 1952 USMC type M1C with KM scope. Unless CMP has changed, a KM Bear Cub may be used for vintage sniper matches.

·
Premium Member
2,151 Posts
I like the post style reticle for some reason.... I didn't think I would. I never used optics on my personal weapons at all until I started with the Mosin snipers... at work but never on my own.

Now I just can't stop! Help me please....
Machine gun Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gas

·
Premium Member
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I like the post style reticle for some reason.... I didn't think I would. I never used optics on my personal weapons at all until I started with the Mosin snipers... at work but never on my own.

Now I just can't stop! Help me please.... View attachment 3903746
You laugh, but I swear I have seen similar "image" - I think it was Lee Enfield modified as tear gas shooting "rifle". Butt stock was removed, had screw on handle, was short, lol, closely reassembling this monstrosity... :ROFLMAO:

·
Premium Member
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks Rob. Yea, I hate the post type big time. It may work on human targets OK but shooting a group with one is a real challenge. IIRC the M73, M-81 and the "b" serial numbered series of Lyman Alaskan are all correct for the M1C and have a crosshair. The most common, the M-82, has a post. The best to use for shooting is a regular commercial Alaskan to save the original or correct scope IMO.

Thanks for the great video and all the work you do and thanks to the folks that have helped you to make all the videos possible.

Congratulations to Bill on a 200 amazing score with a 1952 USMC type M1C with KM scope. Unless CMP has changed, a KM Bear Cub may be used for vintage sniper matches.
Btw, Mike, I forgot to answer to your question about condition. So this rifle was heavily on the "maybe" side. Throat was rated at 3...stock was in bad shape (trigger guard was opening from the recoil). I honestly roll a dice on it because I have weakness for Garands and could let this puppy just get pushed to the corner of the history! I'm glad I did! Ha!

·
Premium Member
2,151 Posts
You laugh, but I swear I have seen similar "image" - I think it was Lee Enfield modified as tear gas shooting "rifle". Butt stock was removed, had screw on handle, was short, lol, closely reassembling this monstrosity... :ROFLMAO:
Lol...I know...do a search for 'Mall Ninja' and you will see some goofy stuff and goofy characters.... the social media selfies of fat guys in their Ninja gear ready for combat...

Now, on the subject, I surprisingly like the post style reticle for my style of shooting which is more combat oriented than tight group performance shooting. Cross hairs are good to go too but I've become kind of a fan of the old school.

·
Premium Member
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Now, on the subject, I surprisingly like the post style reticle for my style of shooting which is more combat oriented than tight group performance shooting. Cross hairs are good to go too but I've become kind of a fan of the old school.
I can see that. I just like to have horizontal line to stay "leveled". It's just helps my eyes, lol.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts