Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Platinum Bullet Member
7,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A coworker inherited a Garand recently. I've yet to see it to get details but I thought I would do some initial research on prices. I am in no way a Garand expert so I've been using comments from various boards as to what is desirable and collectible.

Good grief, after an hour going through recent sales on Proxibid I didn't know if I was batting or pitching. Here's just some of the goings-on.

Honest looking (lots of good pictures) WWII SA example. Matching wood with a few dings, $850. Seemed like a good baseline.

Next auction had two welded receiver mixmasters in multicolored wood and they went for $950. WTH??? The Fulton Armory site would consider those very expensive wall hangers.

Then there was a H&R with just two pictures that sold to an onsite buyer for $1600!!! Bidding war in the room?

I did notice a few trends and if the experts would pass comment I'd be very grateful.

Anything with Winchester on it fetches more money.

Post Korean war builds seem to go cheap.

LMC barreled guns attract money.

Rebarreled guns either fetch crazy money or can barely be given away.:confused::confused::confused: Some aftermarket barrels are clearly preferred to others, and the Vietnam era rebuilds don't generate much interest.

All comment welcome!! :)

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
I would not ue Proxibid or RIA as a measure of "value". onsite bidders, bidding wars, and bidders lacking understanding and knowledge make those prices completely unreliable as a price guide. I have seen guns get run up to 3-5 x their "value" by onsite bidders getting carried away and no concern for what they spent. A better gauge would be to go look at Gun choker, and completed auctions- stuff that actually sold. you have similar issues, but a lot less since the sales are continuous and seem to proved a better gauge.

that said, Garands are a world of details and condition for the price people will pay. best bet is the take detailed pis and post them here so the experts can provide some input into what you have ..... THEN evaluate value. the stock alone can be worth $20, or $500. Two identical rifles one marked blue sky, can be worth a difference of a factor of 2.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
47,473 Posts
I would not ue Proxibid or RIA as a measure of "value". onsite bidders, bidding wars, and bidders lacking understanding and knowledge make those prices completely unreliable as a price guide. I have seen guns get run up to 3-5 x their "value" by onsite bidders getting carried away and no concern for what they spent. A better gauge would be to go look at Gun choker, and completed auctions- stuff that actually sold. you have similar issues, but a lot less since the sales are continuous and seem to proved a better gauge.

that said, Garands are a world of details and condition for the price people will pay. best bet is the take detailed pis and post them here so the experts can provide some input into what you have ..... THEN evaluate value. the stock alone can be worth $20, or $500. Two identical rifles one marked blue sky, can be worth a difference of a factor of 2.
^^^ What he said,

if you have time, and the know how, take it apart and do up a data sheet,

https://thegca.org/m1-garand-data-sheet/

details make a difference,

an All Correct will bring much more than a mixmaster

and date matters too, a Correct WWII (say 1943) will bring more than one post war,

generally speaking, here on the east coast/mid atlantic, the mixmasters in good shape are $1000+,

Winchesters/IHC's bring more, even mixmasters,

and the price goes up based on correctness of parts

·
Platinum Bullet Member
7,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
^^^ What he said,

if you have time, and the know how, take it apart and do up a data sheet,

https://thegca.org/m1-garand-data-sheet/

details make a difference,

an All Correct will bring much more than a mixmaster

and date matters too, a Correct WWII (say 1943) will bring more than one post war,

generally speaking, here on the east coast/mid atlantic, the mixmasters in good shape are $1000+,

Winchesters/IHC's bring more, even mixmasters,

and the price goes up based on correctness of parts
It's interesting that you should both suggest Broke Gunner. When I looked at stuff sold there I began to get the feeling that certain sellers and their shills were manipulating the market. Either that or some bitter collectors were bidding up some stuff because they don't like others getting bargains.

RIA and certain other auction houses on Proxibid are on my instant ignore list. The crap some of those jokers pull beggars belief. I was mostly checking out the smaller estate auctions, especially the sales where they had good pictures and full descriptions.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
47,473 Posts
It's interesting that you should both suggest Broke Gunner. When I looked at stuff sold there I began to get the feeling that certain sellers and their shills were manipulating the market. Either that or some bitter collectors were bidding up some stuff because they don't like others getting bargains.

RIA and certain other auction houses on Proxibid are on my instant ignore list. The crap some of those jokers pull beggars belief. I was mostly checking out the smaller estate auctions, especially the sales where they had good pictures and full descriptions.
with gunbroker, unless it is a specialty or rare firearm, look at all the listings, and do an average,
toss out a high, toss out a low, and get a good running avg,

knowing that as a base number, that avg may go up or down, or both,, (over time)

seems a lot of folks wanna scream shill on gunbroker,, yet know one is able to prove it,

you hear about NR bidders (no feedback) etc etc, but that is just foolishness in my opinion

I'm not saying it has not happened or will not happen again , but as a user since 2004, and I sell a lot of firearms on 'Borker, I don't think it is as prevalent as some folks want to believe,

and I realize the gray blanket accusations may or may not be true, and have been debated to death on this forum, ,

something to consider,

I list an item that is selling at $500, but I think it may be worth, or want to spike some interest so I have another account, or a buddy bid up to $750, hoping someone else outbids,

what if they don't,

I am out fees, (until I go thru the process to get credit,, but I have to relist the item to get credit,,)
so do I relist if my shill wins, and claim NPB? leave negative feedback and abandon the shill account? only to start another the next week?

who has time for all that?
takes time to set up an account
cannot claim fees unless it is relisted and then not until 4 days after the listing, and that takes a minute or 3 to do, then you have to go back to see if you got that credit etc etc

I think a lot of it is sour grapes cause someone else won the auction cause the guy with sour grapes wanted it cheaper, or the SGrapes guy is upset cause his listing did not do as well,

folks don't seem to realize that there are also a lot of new users since The 'Rona hit, (and some of those are deadbeats that bid and never contact or pay,,, but that is a different gripe)
and a lot of old users that have lots of free time,

FWIW, I posted similar in a thread about a particular firearm and grumbling about shills,
if the folks grumbling took the time to look at the auctions sold, and bidder history, all it showed was that the seller has some repeat customers,

any med to high volume seller will have repeat customers, I have them myself,

anyway, sorry for the rant

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
something to consider,

I list an item that is selling at $500, but I think it may be worth, or want to spike some interest so I have another account, or a buddy bid up to $750, hoping someone else outbids,
[/QUOTE]

SAY WHAT??

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
with gunbroker, unless it is a specialty or rare firearm, look at all the listings, and do an average,
toss out a high, toss out a low, and get a good running avg,

knowing that as a base number, that avg may go up or down, or both,, (over time)

seems a lot of folks wanna scream shill on gunbroker,, yet know one is able to prove it,

you hear about NR bidders (no feedback) etc etc, but that is just foolishness in my opinion

I'm not saying it has not happened or will not happen again , but as a user since 2004, and I sell a lot of firearms on 'Borker, I don't think it is as prevalent as some folks want to believe,

and I realize the gray blanket accusations may or may not be true, and have been debated to death on this forum, ,

something to consider,

what if they don't,

I am out fees, (until I go thru the process to get credit,, but I have to relist the item to get credit,,)
so do I relist if my shill wins, and claim NPB? leave negative feedback and abandon the shill account? only to start another the next week?

who has time for all that?
takes time to set up an account
cannot claim fees unless it is relisted and then not until 4 days after the listing, and that takes a minute or 3 to do, then you have to go back to see if you got that credit etc etc

I think a lot of it is sour grapes cause someone else won the auction cause the guy with sour grapes wanted it cheaper, or the SGrapes guy is upset cause his listing did not do as well,

folks don't seem to realize that there are also a lot of new users since The 'Rona hit, (and some of those are deadbeats that bid and never contact or pay,,, but that is a different gripe)
and a lot of old users that have lots of free time,

FWIW, I posted similar in a thread about a particular firearm and grumbling about shills,
if the folks grumbling took the time to look at the auctions sold, and bidder history, all it showed was that the seller has some repeat customers,

any med to high volume seller will have repeat customers, I have them myself,

anyway, sorry for the rant

So you have a SHILL?

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
I get what you are saying lyman but the pitchforks and torches are coming out it seems.

I'm almost certain i experienced shill bidding from a major auction house for a colt 1911a1 rearsenaled by SA. I ignorantly put in a silent bid for 1900 due to its condition(mint). It hit that mark precisely. At first i was pissed how i could do that and not expect the auction house to take advantage of it since there would be no way i could verify the bidding and due to them having beforehand knowledge of bid amounts. Now, I'm beyond happy i did. It's the best 1911a1 I've ever touched, shot and frankly seen. I wouldn't sell it for twice that, period. Shill bidding, if that is what happened to me, sucks but sometimes it can mistakenly be a non-issue. I don't care if it happened to me as i got more than i had hoped for.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
47,473 Posts
I get what you are saying lyman but the pitchforks and torches are coming out it seems.

I'm almost certain i experienced shill bidding from a major auction house for a colt 1911a1 rearsenaled by SA. I ignorantly put in a silent bid for 1900 due to its condition(mint). It hit that mark precisely. At first i was pissed how i could do that and not expect the auction house to take advantage of it since there would be no way i could verify the bidding and due to them having beforehand knowledge of bid amounts. Now, I'm beyond happy i did. It's the best 1911a1 I've ever touched, shot and frankly seen. I wouldn't sell it for twice that, period. Shill bidding, if that is what happened to me, sucks but sometimes it can mistakenly be a non-issue. I don't care if it happened to me as i got more than i had hoped for.
I hear you , and my comments only apply to Gunbroker, (and no, I do not have a shill Quark,, )

I bid on some bookcases at a local auction house,
they typically at live auctions drop prices until someone bids and then it runs up from there,

in my case I was told by the auction house to do an absentee bid, (I could not be there that night) and to make that bid my top dollar, since I did not want to be outbid ,

well fortunately it was only $50,

fortunately, because that is what they started bidding at, and welldoggy, I had bid that amount, and no one else did,

never bought from that house again,

·
Registered
6,739 Posts
One must also consider the lack of knowledge.

It seems like all the Garands locally are now in the $1600 range. It appears to have little to do with manufacturer/date/barrel/reworks/parts matching etc......
Seems to have more to do with everyone now thinks their Garand is worth $1600 just because they saw another one at that price.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I sure am confused regarding Garand pricing, but then I am still a newbie. Two years ago I developed an interest, bought numerous recommended books and watched on line sales. I ramped up my knowledge some, well, ok, a little. But, it seems prices have been perplexing. I am glad to see this thread where more experienced folks are commenting on the pricing.

Early last year I did jump on a very nice CMP papered Winchester M1D. Soon after I thought that I paid too much. I chalked it up to too much enthusiasm and to little experience. Now, after watching some puzzling prices, I think I did ok. I think.

·
Registered
38 Posts
The CMP Forum has a good for sale section for various USGI guns, including M1 rifles. It's a good place to check realistic selling prices.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I was M1 lucky as a good friend gave me a bag-o-garand parts 40 years ago so I just bought the missing parts of the ‘puzzle’ at gun shows until I had a complete rifle. No internet or gun broker then. We did have the oversized Gunlists Magazine with it’s Numrich and Sarco adds. Garand parts were plentiful back then, I remember seeing tables of parts. I had an old exmarine armourer in Jacksonville, NC assemble it. Probably did it in his sleep. My recvr is a 1970s SA commercial but everything else is gi. As a retirement project a couple years ago I restocked it with a Boyds laminate. Wouldn’t have a clue as to what it was worth. A lot to me. They are great rifles.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
I have only one M1 Garand that I got through the DCM back in 1992 for the unheard of cost of $90. I wish I had more of them. It is a Springfield Armory piece and shoots very accurately on the 500 yd. target on my 1000 yd. range. With the action open and exposing the chamber section of the barrel the stamp "S - A 7 - 41" is visible. There is a light stamp on the left side of the stock above the trigger ass'y of what appears to be "FR" inside a square. Does anyone know this stamp ? The stock is in very good condition with only one small nick on the left side a couple inches behind the wrist. There is the number "202" and a letter "P" inside a circle on the stock's wrist. The military parkerized finish on all metal parts is 99%+. This is one of my prized pieces in my military collection.

·
Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet Member
57,548 Posts

With auction house 'A", the items I have won were always at the top of the amount I bid. That can happen, but not every time. Other auction houses, I may and have won the item at a bid less than my top bid. So I seldom bid very high on items at auction house 'A".

·
Platinum Bullet Member
7,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I hear you , and my comments only apply to Gunbroker, (and no, I do not have a shill Quark,, )

I bid on some bookcases at a local auction house,
they typically at live auctions drop prices until someone bids and then it runs up from there,

in my case I was told by the auction house to do an absentee bid, (I could not be there that night) and to make that bid my top dollar, since I did not want to be outbid ,

well fortunately it was only $50,

fortunately, because that is what they started bidding at, and welldoggy, I had bid that amount, and no one else did,

never bought from that house again,
^This. I started to notice that one major auction house often started items at my maximum electronic bid, even though the pre-bids had not got that high. When a second one started that BS I began to pick and chose who I did business with a bit more carefully. Right now, what I would call the biggest auction houses on each coast are on my ban list.

Several others have excluded themselves with their extortionate buyers' premiums rather than sharp bidding practices. 26% BP? Not on my dime, but plenty of other folks still place market reasonable bids in, maybe because they didn't read the small print. Standby for sticker shock!

·
Premium Member
2,034 Posts
I would bet a lot of the variation in M1 Garand prices is due to state restrictions.

there is a lot of high income folks in New Jersey, California, Connecticut, Maryland, New York, and to a lesser degree Massachusetts. All these states have restrictions on high cap modern sporting arms. So there is a lot of interest in SKS, Hakims and M1 Garands for which there are no restrictions. In the high income areas a nice house is 500,000 dollars, 1500 for an M1 is not much to them if they make 145,000 a year.

But in the middle of the nation it is an open market. If houses are 160,000 there and a decent income is 55,000, well then a 600 dollar M1 is more in line with expectations.

Of course we have a national market so those in the know will try to buy at 600 in the low price areas and sell to those in high price areas. But with the internet arbitrage is harder to do then back in the old shotgun news day., Folks in the markets where 600 would be the natural figure are selling for more as they can see the internet prices, as they can get it and the price rises as the supply slowly shifts to areas where folks will pay more. Such is the invisible hand of the market.

but I would suggest that the core of what folks are seeing in price variation.

·
Silver Bullet Member
2,823 Posts
Garand prices are easy. $750 to your door for a service grade in a nice foam lined hard case. A usually quite nice example and a more than capable shooter. CMP. Unless you really know garands you are wasting your money paying what gun shops want for them because they are usually just another refurbished/rebuilt garand.

·
Registered
66 Posts
This I agree with.

I bought mine from the CMP, even put in a request for a SA, WW2 era with a dark stock and got exactly that. Maybe coincidence, but maybe not! Point being, I paid $750 but could probably sell it on GB for at least $1250.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts