Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. I recently purchased a Garand and it has been having some trouble. I made a video to show exactly the problem, but basically it attempts to eject the clip when it still has rounds. Here is the video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVREKM65mx4

It is also in this thread:http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?355879-Quick-question-on-my-Garand
and this thread: http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?354391-400-M1-carbine-and-a-Garand

I have had a smith look at it and he said it looked good to go. The op rod spring wasn't in great condition but he said give it a try and see if I needed a new one. I took it out last weekend and it had the same problem it does now. In the interim I replaced the spring with a brand new one. I can feel the increased tension on the slide so I'm pretty sure it did need one, but it has not solved the problem. The rifle attempts to eject the clip as if it were empty. It does not do this on any particular round but it seems to vary between the 2nd, 3rd and 4th with no discernible reason. I do not think it is the gas cylinder because the smith has taken a look at it, but I guess it is possible it needs more adjusting.

Thank you for any advice you can give me.

Attachments

·
Registered
619 Posts
Good Day,
you have a timing issue. There are three culprits that I go after with this problem however, the thing I always have to remember is that JC Garand's system is elegant and complicated. Everything has to be just right for it to work. That said, is your gunsmith has a timing block, it would go a long way to diagnosing the issue. Its likely the bullet guide camming point which is worn. The best fix is to find a bullet guide that was arsenal reclaimed and the nose chromed to bring it back to specs. If that doesn't work, the clip latch might be worn. Again a replacement is needed. Finally, the op rod catch 'leg' is worn. This is uncommon but has been seen.
Michael

·
Registered
13,423 Posts
FlightRN has it pretty much narrowed down for you.

Your problem is likely going to be in one or more of three parts. The Bullet Guide may be slightly bent or worn (bending sometimes happens when someone tries to load a ninth round into the rifle on top of the clip), the operating rod catch (assembly) may have a problem, or the follower rod may be slightly deformed.

·
Silver Bullet Member
802 Posts
Clip latch spring and grease fixed mine. Always shot my Garand's with oiled parts only and when I started greasing them after each cleaning my problems were solved. Took me a while to learn that Garand's like grease.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
95% of the time its a worn clip latch spring, very rarely is it the clip latch itself. Make sure you are using USGI enblocs, foriegn manufacture can cause this.
If not the spring or enblocs next most common part may be a worn lobe on bullet guide. You will need to measure with a micrometer, as I remember should be .179 to .175 (may want to verify)

·
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Buy a spring kit from Orion7.. You'll thank me later.

Replace every single spring in your garand.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk
Thanks, I just ordered one. I also have all the other parts, bullet guide, follower arm and clip latch on the way. One way or another I will figure it out.

·
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you all for your advice so far. The rifle is doing better, it will shoot as it is supposed to, but randomly it will also malfunction.

I received the kit from Orion 7 and although the rifle is working better, it does work flawlessly sometimes, it is still having the same malfunction. I will try replacing the bullet guide and the clip latch next. I believe this is where the problem lies for a few reasons. All of the clips I have, worked in the previous Garands I owned. I used up the last few original pre-loaded bandoleers from 1955 on this Garand today. They are surplus ammo that comes on the enbloc and in the cloth bandoliers. Admittedly, they were the only ones that worked today, however, when I tried to reload a clip that had worked it would malfunction. Am I loading the clips wrong? I don't know, but some of the preloaded clips malfunctioned as well. I used that '55 preloaded stuff as well as some HXP of various ages but mostly I used the Lake City ammo in the 40,000 lots. Some clips worked with the Lake City as well as the HXP so that is why I do not think it is the clips or the ammo, but one of the other parts. When I shoot it next I will keep you guys informed.

Here is some video of it malfunctioning again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-xpN63T6NU&list=UUbQDGbmwgAFaO3vvVoIdsGA

·
Registered
619 Posts
Not a Bad Garand

Good Day,
I commend you for posting the video. It really does help a lot. Even though, I disagree with your title "Bad Garand." I have yet to meet or shoot one ":)

I stand by my original assertion that your premature clip ejection problem is probably the bullet guide. The fulcrum point is likely worn below specs. Some shooters state that the post war type bullet guides with the notch, have a higher fulcrum or release point and will often correct a timing issue. If you have access to a Timing block, it would help. I found this video of the proper use and function of the block.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dipLrxqUXjo

Hopefully, this will help,
Michael

Attachments

·
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks Flight!

I hope so too. I have two spare so hopefully I will have what I need. I should have brought them with me today, but I guess I was suffering some "wishful thinking".

Also, I didn't mean "bad" Garand like it's not good, but more like when you say bad to a misbehaving dog. Haha. You know, like hey stop doing that.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts