Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a real strange question but..

What exactly is the name of those Wooden chests that you can put on the end of of your bed at the foot of your bed and put your garand etc in it?

I have an m1 and I saw Gran Torino if anyone saw the movie with Clint Eastwood in it he had a wooden case in his room in which he had his M1 inside.

I want one like similar to that I have seen them in other places I just dont know what their names are exactly if anyone could find plans etc I could build one. I think it would be a smart place to house my M1.

I dont know just maybe an excuse to get myself in the woodshop if you got anything let me know?

·
Registered
3,358 Posts
I saw some rifle transport cases that looked absolutely beautiful on the internet awhile back,but can't remember where.When I was in the service,we used wooden footlockers,but they were way too short to put a rifle in.We hung rifles from the top rail of our racks (bunkbeds for civilians) by the sling.

·
Registered
5,951 Posts
CMP used to give away the Greek shipping crates they got M1s in to anyone that asked. Not sure if they still do - years back. Neat little Green crates that were made to hold eight rifles. Greek stenciling on them of which I could only read "M1". Some were clearly for G3 rifles, and were so marked. Most had had the dividers thrown away - I assume by the CMP to fit more rifles into each crate.

Looked like an oversized footlocker.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ya I found some on the internet if you want I can share some pictures im thinking about reproducing these. For myself and some friends after I get done I can make the plans and maybe post them if anyone is interested in maybe building one. I just think they are cool and kind of a good place to store a rifle with a lock on one near the bed for a safer faster way to get to the rifle for deffense.

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
You didn't store rifles in foot lockers, they were locked in weapons racks with locks.

First, the fool locker wasn't secure.

Second, you stored your clothes in the footlocker. Your clothes are always slightly damp from being laundered. Rifles RUST around damp clothes.
This is why its a bad idea to store guns in closets. The dampness rusts them.

Plus, I can't remember, but I think the footlocker was too short to hold an M1.

What you'd want is a footlocker LIKE wooden case with a rack type insert to hold the rifle.
This might be a nice seller. A rack on the top side, ammo in the bottom, and a decent lock.

·
Gold Bullet member
384 Posts
CMP does still have the boxes and you can have one for free if you go to Anniston and haul it away yourself.

Miltech (refinishes Garands and other rifles) may also make a presentation box for M1's.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
1,573 Posts
Would not the M-1 fit in a standard foot locker if it was broken down? Just store the rifle in it, would be like the WWII Griswold bag........:D

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Yes I am planning on making one that will fit my M1 inside. On the bottom and then a shelf insert that fits inside to hold my ammo and accessories I will then put a lock on it. Also perhaps rope handles on both sides to carry it. I may just stain the wood with a nice color or paint it a green perhaps not sure many things can be done.I want to see how it turns out if it is nice I will show my fellow M1 shooters. They said they might want something like this. Maybe could lead to a Gun show and selling some?

Wonder if any of you guys would think this would sell?

·
Registered
14,763 Posts
Would not the M-1 fit in a standard foot locker if it was broken down? Just store the rifle in it, would be like the WWII Griswold bag........:D
Possibly it would , but then WHERE are you going to keep your clothes???
Not to mention the top shelf of the foot locker with the towel, safety razor, razor blades, soap, tooth brush, comb, and some other things you were NOT ALLOWED to use ;)

We had rifle racks in the middle of the room and the rifles were locked up.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Beat ya' to the punch by a whole year. :)

I built this baby just over a year ago. I never pass up a chance to show off too ;) ...

Ok ok- it's not really a Garand case, and it isn't exactly in the scale that you're talking about... But it proves it can be done...

Not to mention I'm in the works to build a much smaller one (for my carbines) as we speak...

-Palimino

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Beat ya' to the punch by a whole year. :)

I built this baby just over a year ago. I never pass up a chance to show off too ;) ...

Ok ok- it's not really a Garand case, and it isn't exactly in the scale that you're talking about... But it proves it can be done...

Not to mention I'm in the works to build a much smaller one (for my carbines) as we speak...

-Palimino
Very nice that is almost exactly what im talking about. In design it will look almost exactly like yours. My inside however will be a bit different but those are very very nice.

Thanks for sharing :)

·
Silver Bullet member
1,030 Posts
Springfield Crate

I was looking all over the place for a crate in which to transport and at least semi-secure our American Legion Post's 6 M-1903-A3 Springfield parade rifles in. Some of the milsurp places sell empty Mosin Nagant crates, but the only ones I could find were for the M-44 carbines; a little short for the 03-A3. CMP said that I could have one of theirs, but they were all rotten and falling apart and that it would cost around $250 to truck one up here to Maine.

Having seen a photo of one on line, I decided to make one mostly out of lumber that I'd scrounged out of our local "Recycling Center".

Here are the plans of what I came up with:

Of course you might have to adjust the dimensions somewhat for the Garand.

Pattern for the rack plates:

I ended up widening the notches by about a quarter inch each.

Here the crate is open with 4 of the rifles in it:

And the view from above to show how they are "nested" together.

I was going to glue a length of felt weatherstripping along the upper edge of the racks, but found that it works just as well to lay an old Army blanket over them, tuck it down into the notches, then lay the rifles in and fold the excess up over the rifles to pad between them and the lid.

Crate nearly finished, closed:

By removing the back seat in my little Toyota RAV-4 I can just slide the crate into the cargo bay in order to bring the rifles to our parades.
Fully loaded, it is a little heavy for this one old Veteran to horse around too much, for sure!

Have fun!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
I was looking all over the place for a crate in which to transport and at least semi-secure our American Legion Post's 6 M-1903-A3 Springfield parade rifles in. Some of the milsurp places sell empty Mosin Nagant crates, but the only ones I could find were for the M-44 carbines; a little short for the 03-A3. CMP said that I could have one of theirs, but they were all rotten and falling apart and that it would cost around $250 to truck one up here to Maine.

Having seen a photo of one on line, I decided to make one mostly out of lumber that I'd scrounged out of our local "Recycling Center".

Here are the plans of what I came up with:

Of course you might have to adjust the dimensions somewhat for the Garand.

Pattern for the rack plates:

I ended up widening the notches by about a quarter inch each.

Here the crate is open with 4 of the rifles in it:

And the view from above to show how they are "nested" together.

I was going to glue a length of felt weatherstripping along the upper edge of the racks, but found that it works just as well to lay an old Army blanket over them, tuck it down into the notches, then lay the rifles in and fold the excess up over the rifles to pad between them and the lid.

Crate nearly finished, closed:

By removing the back seat in my little Toyota RAV-4 I can just slide the crate into the cargo bay in order to bring the rifles to our parades.
Fully loaded, it is a little heavy for this one old Veteran to horse around too much, for sure!

Have fun!

Thanks so much for sharing. Thats almost exactly what I was talking about building It turned out really nice. Im still wondering though if you think that I could start making something like that and sell them I mean it seems people are interested in them both on here and in other forums and people I run into at gun stores ranges....

So Im wondering if I could sell thse... Not sure..... still looking for some input.

Im almost thinking as a presentation case of some sort. Nobody makes these so im really thinking about doing this. You can look around the internet forever and hardly find anything.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I believe this guy makes Garand crates as well as the Carbine crates shown.
I have seen a number of guys that make and sell these on a small scale
http://myforum.shuffsparkerizing.com/User/Discussion.aspx?id=175894

I went on his website seems he does custom work the rifles and offers modified m1's m14's etc but I saw only the cases with the gun. When I went on his pricing page he didnt seem to offer them.

I dont know if im looking at the wrong thing. The link you sent me however needed me to sign in.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts