Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went into Gander, just to see a Marlin 17hmr that I was thinking I needed, and slid past a case full of used pistols, and this sad lonely P-83 was snuggled up to a couple P64s and a few more P83s were salted around for fun. The P83 in question grabbed my eye with it's $129- price tag. I asked what was wrong with it, as all the other 9x18 pistols in the case actually looked worse for wear. The salesman said that He had asked the boss the same Q- with no answer. I field stripped it, and looked down the very near new bore, and said I'd take it. I was in wisconsin, and I'm from MN, so they mailed it to the Rochester store, four days later, (tonight) I picked it up. I was waiting for the hidden camera to pop up. I really was flabbergasted when the salesman said I could return it for repair within a month if it didn't work. Really? Numbers matching, except the mag. Very low round count, and maybe 98% finish. I still don't understand. I'll shoot it tomorrow, and maybe it will show me why it was so cheap. I really can't find ANY reason it was priced at 129 when all the others were over $300. Wierd :2huge

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Range Report $129. P-83

I went to the outdoor range after work today, it was 37f and very gusty which is a problem when you have one leg, and you're as wide as I am :) Excuses finished.... I brought a box of LVE and a couple splat-targets. I paced of a generous 10 yards, and immediately had a fail to chamber on the first round- nose dive. So I unloaded the magazine, spread the front of the feed lips on the magazine (it was not numbered to the gun) and started over. It fed fine after that.
The other P83 in the pics with the two mags, is one I bought on gunbroker for 189. plus shipping a year ago. I tried the mags from that gun, and one of those needed the lips spread too. They both worked fine after that after the mag tuning, and the up-side to retuning the mags = brass lands at my feet now! I couldn't believe it. I never saw that coming. Anyway, when I really concentrate, I can get within about 4" of the bull, but I was simply thrilled with the results I got- swapping mags back and forth, perfect feed and function out of both guns with 50 rounds of steel cased hardball, I should have brought some hollow points too, but didn't want to chase brass in the snow.
I shot one handed, as I was hanging on to my nut-picker/brass picker as a cane, and switched hands about 2/3 through the session. I'll bet all the $349 P-83s they're pushing are in no better shape than this one, and many are no doubt worse for wear. I'm SO glad I looked, and suggest everyone near a Gander stop and check their cases for such che...er affordable 9x18s. Who knows.. Maybe it was put there so someone would spread the news, and it was the only one in the country that cheap...er affordable. I guess I better buy a lottery ticket too....

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.