Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A new Gander Mountain store just opened in town. I understand they are carrying M44's for $149. I have never followed this variation although I do own several 91/30's. Is that a decent price for a recent import? On the 91/30's I know enough to look for ex-snipers and MO marks. What do you look for on a M44 that makes it a little special?

thanks, runner

·
Registered
532 Posts
Depending on condition, that might be a bit high. Look for MO marks, 1943 dates, and Tula arsenal. Laminated stocks add a bit too.

·
Silver Bullet member
1,134 Posts
I would say it's a bit high. The advantage of Gander Mtn. for you being you can see it in person before purchasing which my not be an option for you otherwise. In some places you can find them as low as $70 for hardwood stocks and $80 for a laminated stock. Like stated above, a 43 Izhevsk or a 44 Tula would be a nice find.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Anyone find a rare 91/30 that has slipped through their net there? I live about 10mi. from one.

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
local gun store 99.99 gun shows still in the crates you pick 89.00..seems the bigger the chain store the bigger the price

·
Registered
589 Posts
Gander Mountain

I was able to get 2 ex-sniper 91/30's at a Gander Mountain for $99.99 each. The store had a manager's special going on. One a Tula, the other an Izhevsk.

·
Registered
92 Posts
i bought 2 tula 91/30's off gander paid 150 each for them i knew it was a little high but i got to look them over really good and i was satisfied both are dated before ww2 i think 1 was a 37 and the other was a 38 but dont quote me on the years came with all the accessories and stuff so i was tottally happy with my purchases i noticed they had a few m44 carbines for the same price but passed on them due to money problem lol i ran out

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
A new Gander Mountain opened in Jacksonville, FL and they had run of the mill M44's priced at $149.00 so my first impression of them was not very high.

·
Administrator
19,254 Posts
Always deal with our sponsors first-many will take care of your requests if possible and you'll find the cost very competitive. Gander Mountain is not making it possible for you to get this advice and our sponsors are-they deserve our support whenever possible. ;)

·
Copper Bullet member
1,738 Posts
The Gander I work at has about 30 M44s and 5 or 6 M91/30s. All priced at 149.99, though they used to be $100.

The claimed reason for the higher price is a year of in-house warranty -- which, for most people (i.e. not gun nuts) has some value. I decline comment on how I feel about the higher prices.

Anyhow, we got about half Century imports and half PW Arms imports. Some nice, some not. Found one 1944 Tula that gunhorde now owns. Neat looking one, with screwed-in SSEs.

Ah, Vic, but not everyone has a C&R or a cheap transfer dealer. Plus, at a retail outlet, you don't have to order and then wait and hope for a good one. ;) I keep waiting for an SA-marked Russian re-capture to show up. So far, nothing. :p

·
Registered
718 Posts
I bought my first Milsurp at Gander, a 1944 Iz M-44 with a nice DDR stock. Although I later learned that the price was a bit high, they do seem to be in good-excellent condition and are more free of cosmoline than other stores like Duhnams.

But, I would no loger buy one there unless it was a rarer item like others metioned. I'd try Duhnams. They have frequent sales on 44's and 91/30s. If you want a 44, you can get a really nice laminant stock for the 125-150 range. I'm sure you can find them cheaper, but that's what I've seen.

·
Registered
675 Posts
A new Gander Mountain store just opened in town. I understand they are carrying M44's for $149. I have never followed this variation although I do own several 91/30's. Is that a decent price for a recent import? On the 91/30's I know enough to look for ex-snipers and MO marks. What do you look for on a M44 that makes it a little special?

thanks, runner
Would the one you are referring to be in Richmond, VA. If so I went by there a few days before the "Grand Opening" and they were already open, alot of buisnesses do that and call it a soft opening. Out of all the guns they had I only saw one surplus firearm and it was a M44 Mosin (1946 I think). Hopefully once the place settles in they will put more military arms in the racks. They did have quite a few used guns that must have come from their other stores.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts