Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Administrator
19,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I decided this past winter to try one of the Galil AR kits from CFS in 5.56mm. I ordered the kit from CFS as well as the receiver made by Ohio Rapid Fire in a milled version as it should be. The cost of the kit and receiver came out to be about 650.00 give or take a few. The kit I received was complete but for a missing front night sight spring which I will try to find at Numrich or just make one. The overall condition of the kit was about 60%-70%. The barrel was new and undrilled for either the gas port or front sight retaining pins. It was threaded for the muzzle extension.

The first thing I did was contact Ken at Global and see if he would take on the build. He agreed and off we went. The initial inspection of the kit looked good and the barrel threaded properly into the receiver and the muzzle break fit well also. But upon a more detailed assembly it was apparent that the receiver was slightly out spec and would not be possible to continue. I contacted CFS and obtained a RMA and returned the receiver for an exchange. A week later a new receiver showed up and off we went again.

This time after assembly and setting up the barrel for head spacing we discovered another problem-all be it a good one. The barrel was too tight-it was not going to make head space on the tight side and it needed to be reamed slightly in the chamber to fall within the specs for both 5.56 and .223 to work well. Ken did not have the specialty reamer for this job so I went to another Gunboards sponsor-Jim Balogh at Black River Gunsmithing. He reported that he could do the job and had just the tool we needed. I picked up the parts and off they went to Black River for a quick ream job and head space setting. About 2 weeks later we had the kit back and a perfect set up thanks to Jim who reported that the barrel was really nice and tight and that we should expect very nice accuracy out of the gun when done.

Ken continued with the build and other than a small milling seam on the front radius of the bolt stop shoulder, which was quickly polished out- we were in business and off to a final completion process. A set of Tapco G2 guts were installed and the final assembly undertaken. Ken located and drilled the gas port hole in the barrel and also the retaining pin slots for the front sight/gas block housing to be assembled. The front sight protective globe was slightly out of round and Ken did a fine job of getting it back to near 100% "roundness".

The next step was a finish. I decided on a dark grey/black parkerized finish to mimic the original used on the IMI made Galil 308 ARM in my collection. I also wanted to mimic the over painted receiver and gas tube of the IMI with a black gunkote finish over the parkerized parts. Ken did the parkerization and it turned out great. The receiver and gas tube were then painted over in a matte black as the original and the F and S markings on both sides of the receiver highlighted in white for the ambidextrous safety's. The safety's prove to be tight and that is good. I'd rather have them work in then be flopping all over the place from the get go. Both work extremely well.

The front and rear night sites are lacking their phosphorescent paint and as soon as I can find a link again to company that sells the white glow in the dark paint I will replace those dots on the flip ups as well as the front spring. The rear sights for 300 and 500m snap and click perfectly as does the rear night sight assembly. To use rear night sight, the rear peep sight can be moved to a half position forward allowing the night sight to have a more unobstructed view to the flip up front post/night sight wihich is a line. Lining up the two rear dots with the dot and line in front gives an accurate sight alignment in low light conditions. The original may have been tritium but my IMI made ARM has light activated dots in a white/green color. Subject them to bright light and they glow brightly in the dark for hours.

To round out the kit and supplement the original 35 round steel magazine, I purchased from CDNN three additional orlite Israeli magazines and two 50 round "assault" magazines. All fit fine with little to no wobble and the orlite magazines snap in really tight just as you want them to. All fit and feed fine. We won't know for sure until I can add the live fire part of this review soon. But with dummies all feed and extract with no problems.

The front hand guard and pistol grip as well as the metal of the folding buttstock are either high impact phenolic or plastic construction. I lightly polished the front hand guard and pumiced the plastic pistol grip and covering on the buttstcok to remove some light scratches from previous use. I could have been a bit more aggressive but I was happy with the result and subsequent polishing to a low luster. The butt pad made of rubber was removed and soaked in alcohol to clean and revitalize the texture and turned out fine. All in all the assembly was a success and the rifle looks extremely good. A shooting/function section will be added to this review as soon as possible.

If you are thinking of a Galil AR then these are a good bet. Not available in this country since the late 1980's it is a chance for the collector of AK style rifles to have one now. The Galil is a marriage between the AR and AK with heavy influence from the Finnish Valmet series of rifles. This kit and receiver are faithful to the original right down to the cut outs and scope mounting dovetail on the left side of the receiver -which now leads me to find a IMI scope mount-that should be easy....
If you want one I would suggest that you do these steps:

Contact Magnus/Pam or Jayne at CFS for the kit and receiver. They are our point of contact for Gunboards and make sure they knows your a member.
http://www.centerfiresystems.com/

Contact Ken at Global Military Gunsmithing for the assembly and finish
http://www.globalmilitarygunsmithing.com/

Black River Gunsmithing if you need a ream or two on the chamber....
[email protected]

You won't be disappointed as this rifle turned out fabulous and at a fraction of the cost of one of the early Magnum Research imports from 20 years ago. Now off to the range! Ken at Global out did himself on this one and its just a great looking gun. Great job Ken K!

Right full view with 35 rd steel mag

Galil action right.JPG
Left view 35rd steel mag

Galil left.JPG
Comparison of original IMI 308 Galil finish to new AR
bottom.

Galil 308 and 223.JPG

With Orlite Isreali magazine 35 rd

Galil orlite.JPG
Folding stock closed

Galil folded.JPG
Receiver detail and finish

Galil CAI mark.JPG

Opposite side detail and finish with scope dovetail

Galil action right.JPG
Forarm and barrel detail

Galil muzzle.JPG
Rear sight and night sight. Note the two cirlces on the rear nightsight folded up that will need to be redone in phosphorescent dots.

Galil rear sight.JPG
With the big 50rd clip installed-a bit unwieldy!

Galil 50.JPG
With the 50rd assault mag installed and the 35 rd standard next to it.

Galil 50 and 35.JPG

·
Administrator
19,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
2nd series

Second series of pictures for the review

Galil bench.jpg Galil shooting.JPG Galil bench 2.JPG Galil shels.jpg Galil set.JPG

·
Registered
170 Posts
+1 for Ken and Global Military Gunsmithing, he does awesome work! Did a beautiful job on a Romy I sent him. Good prices too.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Vic, Did you check the receiver after shooting? Does it show any signs of wear? Also what range is that? Since I need to find a range thats close and nice

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
bigant, that's Washtenaw Sportsmans Club.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I'm happy for you, even though a build has long been out of the question for me. Over 15 years ago I bought an unused Galil sniper parts set which included the scope. Unfortunately I live in California and could not find a bare receiver before January 1, 2000. I don't think they made them back then. So all I can do is lay the parts on the floor every now and then and think of what could have been...

·
Administrator
19,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Or sell them to me...

·
Silver Bullet member
435 Posts
Sorry if I missed something, but what's the "Century" script on the side with this build?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts