1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Silver Bullet member
48,492 Posts
Excellent photos..the rifle wowed me!

·
Registered
802 Posts
Pretty cool... to summarize, the scope is definitely correct for the rifle -- matching in all but serial number, and authenticated among others by Wolfgange Finze, a highly regarded firearms expert and author of several books (in German) including "Chassepot Needle Guns" and "Foreign Weapons in German Service 1914-1918". The "Gew 4274" marking on the scope is also important because it means the piece wasn't just cobbled together by a German Bubba. Between this and the Kar 98a, I'm very jealous -- these are MINT examples! Snoopy_3006, did you find these at an auction, or?

·
Registered
85 Posts
This is absolutely stunning. Thank you for posting. I would love to be behind this rifle and pull the trigger to see how it shoots. Extremely jealous. Congratulations.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Pretty cool... to summarize, the scope is definitely correct for the rifle -- matching in all but serial number, and authenticated among others by Wolfgange Finze, a highly regarded firearms expert and author of several books (in German) including "Chassepot Needle Guns" and "Foreign Weapons in German Service 1914-1918". The "Gew 4274" marking on the scope is also important because it means the piece wasn't just cobbled together by a German Bubba. Between this and the Kar 98a, I'm very jealous -- these are MINT examples! Snoopy_3006, did you find these at an auction, or?
Both privat contact, no collector, with very much luck ...! :)

·
Registered
704 Posts
Please share pictures showing the scope bases from top down, with the scope removed of course. Also please provide pictures of serial number on bolt and receiver. Is there a rifle serial on bottom of the stock? Thanks!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Please share pictures showing the scope bases from top down, with the scope removed of course. Also please provide pictures of serial number on bolt and receiver. Is there a rifle serial on bottom of the stock? Thanks!

The number of the stock you can see above.
Here the pic of bolt and receiver. The rest will follow soon ...
1596476901164.jpg

·
Registered
704 Posts
There are various details on your rifle that don't look perfectly right. I'm a bit puzzled by the fact that the serial on the bolt handle has "i" as suffix whereas the serial on the receiver does not have any suffix at all. Additionally the font used on the gas shield ("Schlösschen" in German) differs from the one on all other metal parts. Plus I would expect all serials to have serifs. Please post the pictures I have requested, also take off the stock and check the inside of the stock (inside the barrel channel as well as the inside of the handguard), they should have a serial stamped on it as well. Does the buttplate have a serial on it? And sorry, I didn't intend to ask for the serial on the outside of the stock, I wanted to ask for acceptance stamps on the stock that it should have - at least if the serial is as clear stamped as on your rifle there should still be something visible. Thanks!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
There are various details on your rifle that don't look perfectly right. I'm a bit puzzled by the fact that the serial on the bolt handle has "i" as suffix whereas the serial on the receiver does not have any suffix at all. Additionally the font used on the gas shield ("Schlösschen" in German) differs from the one on all other metal parts. Plus I would expect all serials to have serifs. Please post the pictures I have requested, also take off the stock and check the inside of the stock (inside the barrel channel as well as the inside of the handguard), they should have a serial stamped on it as well. Does the buttplate have a serial on it? And sorry, I didn't intend to ask for the serial on the outside of the stock, I wanted to ask for acceptance stamps on the stock that it should have - at least if the serial is as clear stamped as on your rifle there should still be something visible. Thanks!

Yes, I was a little wondering about the receiver without suffix and the different font made me wondering too. I´ll check the inside of the stock later.
The buttplade of the K98a has a serial, but not the one of the G98 sniper as you can see.

SSG 98.jpg
G98 sniper
K98a.jpg
K98a

1596526982031.jpg 1596527020852.jpg

·
Registered
704 Posts
I don‘t know how much you have had in your rifle, but it is not an original WWI sniper rifle. The bases (could be/) are original, but not to this rifle. And many serials were re-applied to make the rifle matching. How much did you pay for it? If it was too much, try to get your money back. Was the seller a dealer or a private person? If a private person, why did he sell it?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I don‘t know how much you have had in your rifle, but it is not an original WWI sniper rifle. The bases (could be/) are original, but not to this rifle. And many serials were re-applied to make the rifle matching. How much did you pay for it? If it was too much, try to get your money back. Was the seller a dealer or a private person? If a private person, why did he sell it?

I bought it more than 10 yeas ago from a private seller, where I bought a finn. M39 months before. He wasn´t interested in this rifle, got it from someone who lost his licence, so he asked me. I don´t want to sell it, but what would you think I could get? ... than I´ll tell you it was more or less. To make something like this needs a lot of effort.
1596445222600.jpg 1596445246779.jpg
... one more absolute not matching example without prefix. Not a fake for sure in this condition, but interesting or mud?!

·
Registered
704 Posts
There were rifles without suffix, these are always the very early rifles.

if I was to make a guess it would nevertheless bring € 1500-2000 in an EGun auction. Mainly because of the value of the parts.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

You wrote, many serials were re-applied. Which and why do you believe it? I can´t recognize it. I´ll send more pic of the handguard inside tomorrow.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
There were rifles without suffix, these are always the very early rifles.

if I was to make a guess it would nevertheless bring € 1500-2000 in an EGun auction. Mainly because of the value of the parts.

We don´t know the production date, so it could be an early, right ...?!

·
Registered
704 Posts
There are no „early snipers“. These were made based on new production rifles rather than to take worn/used guns for sniper conversion. Additionally, the bolt on your rifle has the i suffix but „matches“ the receiver. If that bolt is original to the gun, the gun needs to have the i suffix on the receiver as well. It doesn‘t.

Maybe you could post pictures of all serials and especially of all acceptance stamps (right side of the receiver as well as bottom of bolt handle) on the Imperial Section of the www.k98kforum.com. There are experts in there that based on these proofs can tell you which manufacturer and which period your rifle was made and therefore give samples from the same period to compare your rifle with, especially the font for the serial used.

In a previous entry in here I told you the serial on most parts of your rifles doesn‘t have serifs. What it however should. Also look at the serial number stamped on the gas shield („Schlösschen“ in German) - it is different size and different font and with serifs. Also parts that are supposed to have a serial from factory don‘t have a serial on them, such as the magazine floorplate and the buttplate. Also I told you the stock needs to have acceptance proof marks on it; in particular on the right side. If it doesn‘t have proofs there someone sanded them off - and how could the serial on bottom of the stock survive this perfectly and deeply stamped whereas the other markings are (nearly?) gone?

I know it is hard to find out on something like this, especially if you‘ve spent a lot of money on it and thought you have an original rifle. But I don‘t want to lie to you as well. Also I wouldn‘t be surprised to find out you bought this rifle from a seller in Northern of Germany (or if it originally had belonged to this person) since this person used to sell a lot of „replicas“ online, some better, some worse, that weren‘t described as what they are or described in a way that you understood something differently than what they really are.

Re your Erfurt 1907 rifle - I did not comment anything in any way on this rifle.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts