Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Platinum Bullet member
3,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is my first split bridge rifle! It came with some others including a very nice 88 commission rifle.

I haven't had it apart yet for a good cleaning. I have heard that these bolts are a bear to reassemble. Is that true.

·
Super Moderator
9,260 Posts
G98/40

No, the bolts are no
t that difficult to disassemble/re-assemble. They are a copy of the M93/95 Mannlicher turnbolt, which is a slight improvement on the Gew88 Commission Bolt.

The Bolt head twists off the front of the body, the main(firing) Pin is threaded and held by the cocking piece nut at the rear. You have to depress a spring plunger (I Seem to recall) holding the cocking piece in place, and then screw off. It may be stiff due to hardened grease etc...give it an overnight in Kroil or similar penetrating solvent.

As you screw off, hold the bolt vertically, on a block of soft wood, so the firing Pin doesn't get damaged, shooting off into the wild blue yonder.

You seem to have a very nice example... Just use the right (correct) screw drivers to remove screws etc, ( "Gunsmiths" driver sets from Brownells) and clean each part with solvent and soft steel wool.

If you are going to Range test it, use Romo 7,9mm ammo and Clean for corrosive afterwards (Water/Windex, then Hoppes #9).

Good, slick action (Faster than a Mauser); makes an excellent rapid fire competition rifle (just like the more complicated Mauser Vergueiro), and also (even with its full wood) a great Deer rifle (iron sights or snap-in Long relief mounts on rearsight base.)

I have the predecessor, the 35M (in 8x56R) and it is a Honey...

Good luck,
Regards,
Doc AV
AV Ballistics.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
2,961 Posts
Is that the one from Collectors Firearms?

·
Platinum Bullet member
3,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ike27, No it was among a group of 16 rifles I recently purchased.

·
Gold Bullet member
2,705 Posts
This is my first split bridge rifle! It came with some others including a very nice 88 commission rifle.

I haven't had it apart yet for a good cleaning. I have heard that these bolts are a bear to reassemble. Is that true.

Nice rifle, you have my sincere envy......This is one that I have been keeping an eye out
for, what are they bringing now? I saw one at gunshow for about $1000 or so. I wasn't sure about that price and had pretty well spent the roll anyway.

·
Platinum Bullet member
3,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the comments guys. One question I have is what type front sight hood goes on these. Is it the standard K98K type, or a different one?? If anyone has any photos of an original hood please post it.

·
Super Moderator
11,704 Posts
I missed one for $400 last year at the MAX Show in Indy. A friend bought it literally under my nose as I was fixed on a M.95 stutzen in the original 8x50.

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
Jimmy,
The sight hood is different than the one for the K98k. It is shorter, and more round than oval in shape. You have a very nice looking rifle, unfortunately, the sight hoods are more difficult to find than the rifles.

runner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts