Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a dot 1941 G33/40. The sling keeper is serial numbered to the gun. I have only seen this on other G33/40s. Is this something that was done at depot or unit level? Or is this Pvt. Snafu boredom?

I can post pictures of the gun and sling if anyone is interested.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Here are the pictures. I only posted pictures of the major parts but I have pictures of pretty much everything. If you want/need pictures of anything else just ask.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Here are the pictures. I only posted pictures of the major parts but I have pictures of pretty much everything. If you want/need pictures of anything else just ask.

Very nice. The deletion of the fist digit of the SN somewhat gets in the way but, for some odd reason, I can see the # on my photo browser.

If I am reading the SN the right way this is the highest verified Dot 1941.

I can't tell you about the sling keeper as I don't do leather. The metal looks great but the sanded stock is a killer. If you are sharing photos I would love to see the undeside proofing on the bolt.

Also, is that a two or a three-piece stock?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Per your request, pictures of the bolts underside. The picture is kind of dark. It is a 63 proof and a "N 3". What does that tell you?

The stock may look sanded but it does not feel sanded. It is not very smooth and the sling hole, thumb cut out, and cross bolt area are all crisp and sharp.

The stock is only one piece; what made you think it was 2 or 3?

Do you have a list of G33/40 serial numbers? I did not realize that mine was such a high serial number.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I have its cousin sitting about 5 feet from me. DOT 41. Shot it last weekend. Nice gun you have there.

·
Registered
368 Posts

Per your request, pictures of the bolts underside. The picture is kind of dark. It is a 63 proof and a "N 3". What does that tell you?

The stock may look sanded but it does not feel sanded. It is not very smooth and the sling hole, thumb cut out, and cross bolt area are all crisp and sharp.

The stock is only one piece; what made you think it was 2 or 3?

Do you have a list of G33/40 serial numbers? I did not realize that mine was such a high serial number.
Thank you for the additional photos, it proves that the metal is original and honest.

The stock proofs appear quite a bit blury as does the external stock SN.

My question about the stock being a two piece is that in the rear of the butt stock there is a horizontal line that appears to go through the stock disk. If you follow the line it might lead to a "finger joint" attachment in the pistol grip area.

·
Administrator
19,249 Posts
What is the high number for these?

The stock on the topic starter is definetly a two piece. Its got a heel splice.

·
Registered
415 Posts
sling

I sold an original one with the sling froesch stamped with the SN also. It was the first one I saw like that.

·
Gold Bullet member
1,387 Posts
G33/40 dot 41

My 33/40 is all matching s/n 4066 over a, barrel is marked 12-41 0 and 4066 a. The bolt is marked 4066 a waffen 63 M 5. Handguard is marked 4066 a inside and the solid light colored walnut stock is also marked 4066 a inside the barrel channel, outside bottom of pistol grip has waffen proofs. Inside of the buttplate is a red color.

I bought this carbine from a WW2 vet many years ago, the bore is nice too.

·
Registered
368 Posts
My 33/40 is all matching s/n 4066 over a, barrel is marked 12-41 0 and 4066 a. The bolt is marked 4066 a waffen 63 M 5. Handguard is marked 4066 a inside and the solid light colored walnut stock is also marked 4066 a inside the barrel channel, outside bottom of pistol grip has waffen proofs. Inside of the buttplate is a red color.

I bought this carbine from a WW2 vet many years ago, the bore is nice too.
Sounds like a righteous dot 1941. I'll be greedy and ask for pictures !!!!

Fun fact, all 41 and 42 dated 33/40's have 41 dated barrels. Or at least a 42 dated barrel has never been noted throughout 42 production.

·
Gold Bullet member
592 Posts
DOT & Date-engraved or stamped on the receiver?

Quick Question on the dot & date marking on the receiver. Are they supposed to be stamped or engraved? Bob's looks engraved while Ruin's looks stamped?

·
Registered
932 Posts
G 33-40 Stocks

I had a rifle all matching, pre importnaround 1971 It carried a walnut buttstock that was spliced together in 3 places. At the grip toward the rear, and beneath the rear sight canting to the muzzle. Very odd, but was not a barracks bag cut repair, Any one else recall seeing something akin to this ??? RETREAD

·
Gold Bullet member
1,387 Posts
Imports G33/40

Sometime during the late to mid 1950's, a small quantity of 33/40's were offered for sale by Golden State. All had mis-matched bolts and I think were selling for $89 each. The custom gunsmiths were always looking for the 33/40's.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I had a rifle all matching, pre importnaround 1971 It carried a walnut buttstock that was spliced together in 3 places. At the grip toward the rear, and beneath the rear sight canting to the muzzle. Very odd, but was not a barracks bag cut repair, Any one else recall seeing something akin to this ??? RETREAD
These three piece stocks show up throughout 1940 and 1941. Not common but not exactly rare.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Sometime during the late to mid 1950's, a small quantity of 33/40's were offered for sale by Golden State. All had mis-matched bolts and I think were selling for $89 each. The custom gunsmiths were always looking for the 33/40's.
Going rate for an ACTION alone these days is $400 to $600. They still like em.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts