Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at picking up a g33/40 action and was wondering what would be a fair price for one? I know they're fairly rare to come across, but I saw a guy trying to sell one for over $500?

Any info would be helpful, thanks.

·
Gold Bullet member
592 Posts
I know of gunsmiths that will pay over 1k for a matching VZ 33 or G33/40 action. They are extremely sought after in the custom rifle field. If the bolt matches the receiver, that would seem pretty cheap to me if matching & in excellent condition. BW, BB

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
The intact rifles go for 1K to 2K depending upon originality and condition. In the heyday of Bubba in the 1950's and 60's the 33/40 was the premo action for light mountain rifles- often in .270 or .257. The best deal now is an FN action from a Husqvarna moose rifle which are low priced in 8x57- one of my favorite calibers but not widely poipular as a sporting round in the US. There are a lot of regular 98' actions and small ring carbines (Kar 98) around that have been "sportered" that are good starting points for a sporter. Rebuilding a 33/40 military from an action would be very expensive relative to the re-sale value of a mix-master.

·
Registered
368 Posts
$500 seems to be the going rate for a complete action (TG, FP, bolt, receiver, small parts) these days. Gunsmiths would be the most likely buyers as at that price the cost of the rest of the parts and restoration will exceed the value of the restored 33/40 for a collector.

·
Gold Bullet member
592 Posts
$500 seems to be the going rate for a complete action (TG, FP, bolt, receiver, small parts) these days. Gunsmiths would be the most likely buyers as at that price the cost of the rest of the parts and restoration will exceed the value of the restored 33/40 for a collector.

A 33/40 action just sold on GB for $140.00??? Wow, I must be getting old..................

·
Silver Bullet member
2,124 Posts
there are how many hundreds of thousands of modern light modern commercial actions on the market and these rare collectable carbines get butchered so somebody can get a custom rifle that weighs 8 ounces less than some other rifle. They of course will sit on the shelf unaltered. i rarely rave about bubbaes work, but vz-33's
no no no!
to the credit of one collector here in alaska, he has redeemed 2 33/40's actions by scrounging and scrounging.
gil

·
Gold Bullet member
592 Posts
Gil, the kind of rifle I'm talking about start at around 10k for a plain one..........BW, BB

there are how many hundreds of thousands of modern light modern commercial actions on the market and these rare collectable carbines get butchered so somebody can get a custom rifle that weighs 8 ounces less than some other rifle. They of course will sit on the shelf unaltered. i rarely rave about bubbaes work, but vz-33's
no no no!
to the credit of one collector here in alaska, he has redeemed 2 33/40's actions by scrounging and scrounging.
gil

·
Registered
368 Posts
I’ve done it before. Including the action and all miscellaneous parts + paying a gunsmith to install a barrel and align the sights the ending result is a rifle that typically costs $200 more than a run-o-the mill mismatched 33/40. It’s not like mismatched 33/40s’ are rare.

So why bother? I’m not saying that it wasn’t fun to do a restoration. I’ve done a few and still have a nice one I keep as a shooter.

Some before and after pics first and then one of the shooter (different rifle).

Franken 33/40 (note stock is different from before pic):

And the shooter:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.